How much time in a day?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By susykins

Thread: How much time in a day?

bmaynard03 is offline Junior Member

Default How much time in a day?

I was wondering about how much time each day kids typically spend on T4L? Of course, I understand this varies greatly depending on age/grade/difficulty/lifestyle/etc, so all inputs are useful to me

Robin is offline Senior Member

What grade level are you interested in? My high school students usually spent an hour per subject. Younger kids may take less time. It really varies. I had two children doing the same lessons, one took an hour another took 20 mins. So it's really hard to say.

I'm interested in the program as a whole. My oldest is 2 right now, so this is more preplanning to see how feasible homeschooling would be. I like the idea of having a single program going from k-12, but I imagine I'd still have to add things to the curriculum (for example, I imagine T4L isn't up there in the handwriting department LOL!)

I'm trying to get a rough expectation to see how much time I'd have left to supplement materials that aren't computer based, while still completing T4L. Since I'll hopefully be using this program all the way through, I'm looking at all the grade levels 😊

Robin is offline Senior Member

My youngest has done the preschool, kindergarten and first grade, and it never took more than an hour or so.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! You might also be interested in How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Kind of? I guess that's the point I'm trying to get behind with this program. Will my kids have enough time to do T4L, along with a few other curriculum choices/ creative play. What is the general time frame I need to account for T4L?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

bmaynard, a preschooler may not spend more than half an hour or so on the formal, online lessons. Kindergarten and first grade might take an hour, second grade a couple hours, third grade two or three hours, fourth through six two to four hours, seventh and eight three or four hours, high school about four hours without any online electives.

This is a VERY general idea, because it's really up to you. Families who do school four days a week might work longer each day than families who school five days a week. Families who school through the summer might only work an hour or so a day all year long.

The bottom line is that, unless you have a goal of completing several grade levels each year, you will have plenty of time to do Time4Learning and add extras.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

susykins is offline Junior Member

Depends on how distracted the kid is, and how much time he chooses to spend on the games (like the coloring at the beginning of the unit in the lower level grades).

My first grader takes less than an hour a day to complete everything he needs to finish the whole curriculum in less than a year (I did that so that if we need to take long breaks from it during the year, I know he's done more than needed, and won't panic).

There are days he's distracted and has to hear a lesson more than once, another day he decided to do the poem activity (for example) more than once, because he thought it was funny to make funny nonsensical rhyming poems. Other times, he does it once, and moves on.

I think your kids will have plenty of time to do other activities and use other supplements if you so choose.

Homeschooling in general takes less than a "school" day. As it should. There's no attendance to go through, no distractions by other students, no state tests throughout the year. No switching classrooms, etc.
    bailbrae likes this.