How much time everyday?
    Lovingme83 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How much time everyday?

Hello everyone!

I'm a homeschool mother of 4, 1girl 10, and 3boys ages 4, 3, and 8mos. We've been homeschooling since the beginning. One of the reasons I love homeschooling is because of the freedom to do what we want, when we want. I also love it that my children can learn at their own pace. All that being said, I have questions about Time4learning.

So far it looks great!!! I'm seriously considering signing my 10 year old up. I know it's not an actual school, which is what I love, but is there a set schedule the students must follow? I mean do assignments need to be done by a certain time? Does the whole curriculum need to be finished by a certain time? If the curriculum is followed according to what's recommended, how much time everyday will be spent working? In order to complete the entire curriculum by the end of the school year, how much time would need to spent everyday working?

I want the curriculum, but I want us to keep our freedom as well.

Lovingme83

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Thanks for introducing your family!

Nope, there is no set schedule. YOU set the schedule. Assignments may be done in an order. Assignment may be skipped or repeated. Your student can take as long or as short a time as necessary to complete each level. They don't even HAVE to complete a level before going on to the next, and you can also choose to skip around between grade levels. Time4Learning provides maximum freedom.

Time online varies so much, depending on the student's age and whether they are a get-it-done kind of person or a drag-your-feet kid. Also, some days language arts might take ten minutes or less for a quick quiz and some days they might have a writing assignment that a few kids will whip through in ten minutes and others would need to do in several sittings. As a VERY general guideline, PK-K will spend less than an hour online, 1-2 will spend 1 1/2 hours, 2-3 might spend a little more than that, and 4 and up spends 2-3 or hours. Parents supplement with offline activities, such as penmanship, music practice, sports activities, perhaps foreign language, free reading, journaling, etc.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I read you post before heading out the door to church, look I come back and look Kelly has answered your questions beautifully.

I will only add I LOVE the freedom we have w/ Time4Learning.com. I can give you an example of how we have been able to have the freedom w/ time4learning.com.

Recently my son hit a section that he was really struggling with. We had to slow way down until he was able to get it. But it was great to be able to slow down and not feel like we were going to fall behind with anyone's schedule.

We were also able to jump ahead in math when my son needed to.

LOVE the freedom of this program.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lovingme83 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm a homeschool mother of 4, 1girl 10, and 3boys ages 4, 3, and 8mos. We've been homeschooling since the beginning. One of the reasons I love homeschooling is because of the freedom to do what we want, when we want. I also love it that my children can learn at their own pace. All that being said, I have questions about Time4learning.

So far it looks great!!! I'm seriously considering signing my 10 year old up. I know it's not an actual school, which is what I love, but is there a set schedule the students must follow? I mean do assignments need to be done by a certain time? Does the whole curriculum need to be finished by a certain time? If the curriculum is followed according to what's recommended, how much time everyday will be spent working? In order to complete the entire curriculum by the end of the school year, how much time would need to spent everyday working?

I want the curriculum, but I want us to keep our freedom as well.

Lovingme83
    Oh how I LOVED reading your post! I so understand exactly what your asking. Let me just say that I've homeschooled for 13 years, three of those with Time4Learning and my very favorite aspect is it's flexibility.

One year we used Time4Learning for everything. The next year I felt led to use a biblically based history program and so we used Time4Learning for Math and language arts and a different history program. (We did science at our co-op)

This year I am using Time4Learning for my Math and Language arts only while we do Five in a row with our little boys and Total Language Plus with my 14 year old. During the holidays and over the summer we do Time4Learning for everything because they enjoy it and it's FUN. But I love that I can make it fit our home, our family and I am positive that you will too!

I look forward to getting to know you
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This is our fourth year using Time4Learning. One of the things I love is how flexible it is. If we have something better to do, we will turn off the computer and go have fun in a heartbeat. Often, we have fun exciting activities three or four days a week. Yet we still finish the grade level usually in early Spring. Last Spring we finished everything except math by March or April. We struggled to finish math by the last day of June. I told my son he had to finish before his birthday, (July 1). But that was my rule, not T4L's. We would have finished a lot sooner if I had not insisted that he do every lesson. This year, he is doing the final test. As long as he does well on the final test, I let him skip the lessons. He is very good at math. It only took so long last year because he was bored with it. If he keeps doing well on the final tests, I am going to skip him up to fourth grade.

It's hard to say how much time per day we spend on the lessons. My son has an extremely short attention span. So he plays a lot instead of working on the lesson. I need a tape recorder to sit behind him all day saying "Focus, Pay attention." So the days that we work on T4L can be a lot longer than they need to be. I'd say no more than 1.5 to 2 hours per day.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Lovingme83 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks everyone for all your help. I think we're gonna sign up next month.

my2sons is offline Junior Member Newbie

This a great thread for me as we are doing Alpha Omega's Monarch. I'm not liking it too much. My boys spend 4+ hours daily, sometimes more!!!!!! It is mainly reading and then answering questions. The other day, my son had to answer 40 questions for one science lesson! Crazy, I say. The math is confusing for my 7th grader. I usually end up going to YouTube and watching a lesson. Then he gets it.

Mumping is offline Junior Member Newbie

my2sons, we are using Monarch too! Overall it's great for our family, but one of my sons has been struggling. It has been taking him hours to do Monarch a day, and asked me to look into other programs. I really do like Monarch though, and wonder if T4L is as excellent in content as Monarch is. We just signed up to check out T4L. We are reviewing it for 7th grade next year, and also Kindergarten material for my daughter. I would really like to hear your thought on Monarch versus T4L. Thanks!

joan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to online homeschooling

hi, everybody I am living in South Africa and was realy frustarated with doing homeschooling for my two kids aged 12 and 13. I run my own business from home and time is limited to educate my kids, but neither government nor private shool is an option for me. I want my kids to learn in a modern world, with more "now" programms and the more independant, they can work the better for me. as long aas I can monitor everything on the computer I think it's fantastic! S.A is a bit backward and teaching standards are not very high.
    I love this online type of teaching/ learning as it gives me some free time to do my job properly too.