How much time per lesson?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: How much time per lesson?

Linabean is offline Junior Member

Default How much time per lesson?

Hi, everyone. We are looking into using Time4Learning for our homeschooling family. In order to create a workable schedule without overload, I need a bit more information that I canít seem to find elsewhere. We are particularly interested in the grades 6-8 range in Math and Language Arts. On average, how much time per lesson do each of these subjects take?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How much time per lesson?

Hi! It varies a whole lot, according to how the student works. Some lessons begin with a couple of questions and just move on if the student answers correctly. If they do not answer correctly, more instruction will be given and more questions will be asked.

In addition, there are a few lessons that are open-ended, such as a website to explore or an online exploratory activity where the student might build something by moving shapes or "virtual" pieces of equipment around online. And there are also writing assignments, which some students will finish in five minutes and others will labor over for a couple of days.

With my own kids, as a VERY general rule, I figure on half and hour to 45 minutes per subject. The actual "running time" of most of the video-based activities is around fifteen minutes (except middle school science, which tends to run closer to thirty minutes). When you set up your plan, you will see that your student will probably need to do more than one activity per subject per day to finish most of the material.

Do remember that you do not have to use all the material provided. If a plan I am creating shows that my child will need to do more than two or three activities per subject per day, I go back and delete some things. For example, I have been know to leave out any writing assignments except those in language arts, any "authentic tasks" (which are usually a website to explore or a worksheet), any exploratory lessons, etc. Or, you can just do one or two chapters in a a subject. For example, just do the American history chapters in social studies for some focused study.

Another thing to know is that the entire last chapter of the math curriculum at your children's grade levels is labeled "Practice" and can (should) be left out of your plan. It is actually the whole year's worth of the old math curriculum, all bundled up and placed at the end of this newer curriculum just so it doesn't go to waste and to provide a place you can look for extra practice activities for things your child needs extra help with.

This is a lot of information, but I hope it helps you plan your children's schedule. You will get a feel for it a couple of weeks into the program, and you will probably decide to fine tune some things. That's one of the great things about homeschooling, You can constantly adjust to meet your family's needs. Don't stress too much about "making and keeping to" a schedule. The goal isn't to "get through" and "check off" a certain amount of material. Even if your child can only retain the information from one lesson activity per day, as long as they are learning, they will be fine.

That's my pep talk! Let us know how things are going for you. Hopefully others will pop in with their point of view.
    Linabean likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you for your explanation! Quite helpful!

We have been homeschooling from the beginning and now my oldest is about to graduate! So Iím experienced in that way but have never tried a mainly online curriculum.

I am looking at giving my middle schooler a much more varied educational experience than we have ever done previously. We are thinking of Time4Learning to be used as her main curriculum for Math and Language Arts. With some supplemental work offline in both of these areas.

In your opinion, Is Time4Learning flexible enough for us to use it 3x per week and still accomplish a yearís worth of work in these subjects? Without spending the majority of the day online?

Im hoping I stated my question in an understandable way! Itís difficult to get clear answers for a program plan that only I can see!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We have done four days a week many times.

If you are the kind of person who is comfortable saying, "Oh, he doesn't need that and he doesn't need that . . . " when you make your child's activity plan, there would be no problem working only three days a week for the typical student with an involved parent.

I wouldn't try to finish all of the available curriculum in only three days a week unless you school year round. It could certainly be done, but that's too much time for a student to spend online in my opinion.
    Linabean likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you, thatís very helpful!