How young is too young?
    Clinex2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How young is too young?

I have friends who started homeschooling their children at 4 and others who started at 2. The children are adults now and there seems to be no difference in their intelligence, they all are educated and have no learning issues. Both mothers stated their boys were more "ADHD" than the girls, but they caught on later. In Dec my son will be 3 and my daughter 1. I want to enroll my son only, but is 3 too young.. I have him drawing lines from one thing to another. He knows 1-10 and is working on ABC's. He is working on looking at the #1 and knowing that is a 1. Should we still be doing little things or is it good to start him in Dec like I was going to? I'm not worried about my daughter. She picks up everything from him. Any ideas/advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Too young is very much dependent upon the child and the family. Families have many reasons for starting earlier than others- perhaps the family just can't wait to get started, perhaps the mother or the child needs that structure in their day, perhaps they had a child who really, really wanted to "do school." As long as there is no coercion placed upon a little one and he is enjoying the time with mom, there is probably no harm in starting young. However, you may want to look at Before Five in a Row/ Five in a Row or Timberdoodle's Preschool or perhaps Our Father's World Kindergarten to engage your little person before jumping into T4L. If your son really likes the computer, maybe he could go ahead and start playing on Starfall. I am not in any way against early education or computer-based learning, but I do think children build strength in their hands and build hand-eye coordination from having to use their hands for things like play-doh, coloring, cutting, pasting, and playing with blocks, yarn, etc.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I agree with Mandy. I think there is too much pressure to push our kids. In school they are coming home with an hour or two of homework in kindergarten. I think this pressure is why we have so many kids on medication for ADD and AHDH. Kids need to be kids. They need time to play. A little boy can't sit still because he's a little boy not because he has ADD. It's normal for them to want to run and jump and play.

My son started on t4l at 4.5. He had been taking classes in a Waldory type environment. The teacher actually reprimanded me for allowing him to learn too much. But he was eager to learn. So I started t4l. I'm glad I started him then. I think he was ready. But we are still pretty laid back about it. We do school maybe three days a week. But believe me if something better comes along we will drop the computer and go off to play. He's in fourth grade now and that's still our approach. I still think it's about having fun as a child. The learning just comes along with it.

I think we need to actively encourage play and not worry so much about the learning.

But like Mandy said, some children need the structure in their lives. Waldorf would call it rhythm. Other children hate the structure. That's why it's so important for you to follow the child's lead.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Clinex2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you very much for the information. Mandy, I checked out those sites. They were informative. Thank you too, Kathi, I think I am going to wait a little before signing him up. I think he should want to learn and love school instead it being a chore and him hating it later. Thank you both so much!
    Kelle