I am new at Homeschooling & So worried!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I am new at Homeschooling & So worried!

LovingMyBabies is offline Junior Member

Question I am new at Homeschooling & So worried!

I am about to start Homeschooling my 6 year old daughter. I am so nervous about being a good enough teacher for her, especially in the reading area! I am so glad I have found this site for help with teaching her. I so hope this helps me. I am so nervous!
    How did you deal with other members of your family thinking your crazy for homeschooling? Did you just ignore their comments? Like my daughter's grandparents, aunts & uncles...
    What are the hardest parts for you with homeschooling?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hello lovingmy babies, being scared is normal. You are going to be much better at this than you think!!

Those not familiar with homeschooling usually going to tell you what a disservice you are doing for your child. You just have to ignore most of that. You know what is best for your child.

Have you checked out the NC state forum yet? I encourage you to do that. It is a great place to meet others in your state and possibly in your area, and it's a great way to find out things going on in your state for homeschoolers.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

LovingMyBabies is offline Junior Member

Thank you Jackie! I have been in the NC forum and I got a lot of good information there. =)
    People keep telling me that she needs to have the socialization and that I am holding her back because she needs to do things without me... =(
    I babysit in my home so she gets plenty of time with other children and we are going to put her in Gymnastics as well! I am tired of others opinions. Lol.
    I am so glad I have people here to talk about it because my family is totally against what I am doing but I think its best for my children and my husband is with me on this too!

Debi Warner is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi LovingMyBabies! I am in the same boat as you. We started homeschooling my son when he was in 1st grade and everyone thought we were crazy. He's now starting 4th grade and we are still going strong. And I STILL get the questions of when I'm going to put him back in "regular" school. I just tell people (family mainly) that we are taking it year by year. As long as I feel he is benefiting more from being home schooled, then I will do what I feel is best for him. Be strong and know that you are doing the best thing in the world for your daughter!

Also, I too am in NC -- NW Greensboro to be exact. Was just wondering what part of NC you were in.

Best of luck to you!

tcsgirl68 is offline Junior Member Newbie

LovingMyBabies, it's perfectly normal how you are feeling, from feeling afraid of being "good enough" as a teacher to getting tired of everyone's negative opinions about your choice to homeschool. I have felt these same feelings and I'd venture to guess most of us have at some point. I got into homeschooling 8 or 9 years ago when our first child was 5 years old and I was considering whether to put her in Kindergarten. However, since she was our first child, I was a stay-at-home-mom, and I had a lot of time to give to her, she was reading so very well by Kindergarten and considering all she knew academically, I knew she'd be bored in K and even 1st Grade! So that's how I started the Homeschool journey. She is 14 now and now I have doubts if I can give her a good high school education. See, still have doubts even with this many years behind me. We also had 3 more children after her, so now we have a 14 yo dau, 11 yo dau, 8 yo son, and almost 3 yo daughter. I'm homeschooling them all. I still have doubts, but there is SO MUCH help online. You can do this from FREE, to very little cost, to a lot of cost. Just depends on what you want to do and what you want to use.

As for those who would criticize your choice, I know that it's especially hurtful when it comes from family. But in your nicest self, you just have to relay to them that this is YOUR family and YOUR choices and they need to stop expressing their opinions if they're not going to be supportive of your right to choose how to educate your family. Hopefully, they will get that they just need to not say anything if they can't say anything nice. A lot of times we all tend to communicate our "opinions" based on what we have "heard" out there and what we simply just don't understand. In my opinion, the public school system has changed so much from what it once was and not always in a good way. That is why I choose to homeschool and everyone certainly has their own reasons.

As for "socialization"... the irony is that when I went to school (I am 44 now), I remember the teachers always telling us "We are not here to socialize but to learn!" LOL! Beyond that little bit of humor, unless your children NEVER go out in public, your children will socialize. They socialize when they go to the grocery store, to church, to birthday parties, to playdates, to the park, to friend's homes, etc. Children have plenty of opportunity to socialize with people from different areas of life and different age groups when they are homeschooled. Personally, I do not want my children only socializing with children their age. It's like the blind leading the blind, you know? I do allow some time with children their own age. But I think a well-rounded child is one used to being around people of all ages.

You can do this! It's scarey at first, but once you get in a groove that works for you and your family, you'll feel much more comfortable. Another wonderful thing about homeschooling is that there are many different ways to homeschool...some use textbooks and workbooks like "school", some use a style that is heavy into reading about life, some go out and experience life with their homeschooling, and you can do school all in one time period of your day or space it out by hours. And you can homeschool ANYWHERE...at a desk, in a recliner, on a bed, or maybe you might find your 7 year old daughter laying on the trunk of your car reading a book in the sunshine like I did one year! LOL! Relax about homeschooling and find your preferences and have fun!

Welcome to this wonderful world called Homeschooling!
    tashmia7 likes this.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I will tell you that I was terrified when we began homeschooling. And sometimes I still worry a bit about whether I am giving my daughter all she needs. However, I never second guess our decision to homeschool, five plus years later we are still going strong.

As for those who worry about the socialization aspect...tell them you have seen the "village" (you know, it takes a village to raise a child) and you don't want them raising your kids.
    In all seriousness, I didn't have nay-sayers when I started homeschooling my only child...my sister paved the way for me, she has 10 kids...all homeschooling.
    You know what I tell people when they want to know if I am going to put myt daughter in "real" school?
    I tell them she IS in real school, that it is a very exclusive school, and on the day of her birth, she filled the last available slot.
    (If you have more than one, say that there were only one slot left, but that siblings of students enrolled are granted an admission waiver.) Oh, and that the student/teacher ration is outstanding, that one-on-one attention really allows students to reach their highest potential. Sounds very hoity-toity huh? LOL.
    Then be prepared to give examples to the nay-sayers on exactly how well your child(ren) is doing in her very exclusive private school! Seriously, within days to weeks you will be amazed at how much your daughter is learning in a stress free, personalized environment.
    Finally, when they ask you what about prom, because they will, even though she is SIX, ask them to remember their prom, and the sorts of things associated with prom (the after parties, the wild ones, drugs, alcohol, sexual content,etc). Then say, "Um, see? I think we will pass at this point, it is not really something I have to worry about for another 11 years, but thanks for asking. I'll take it under advisement."
    Sometimes you just can't respond seriously to the questions, because the questions are so ridiculous
    Welcome and happy homeschooling, I hope you love it as much as we do!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Mamarita is offline Junior Member Newbie

I was so worried that my children would be behind the regular school curriculum. However, two years later when we enrolled them in school, they were placed in honors programs. My family also told us we were crazy and were damaging our children. The hardest part for me is knowing when to stop! So much information, so little time!

-danielle- is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LovingMyBabies View Post
    I am about to start Homeschooling my 6 year old daughter. I am so nervous about being a good enough teacher for her, especially in the reading area! I am so glad I have found this site for help with teaching her. I so hope this helps me. I am so nervous!
    How did you deal with other members of your family thinking your crazy for homeschooling? Did you just ignore their comments? Like my daughter's grandparents, aunts & uncles...
    What are the hardest parts for you with homeschooling?
    As a Dutch mother (in The Netherlands homeschooling is in almost all cases forbidden by law), I am very used to all the negativity when it comes to homeschooling. When we started 9 years ago, almost everyone I knew thought we were crazy! My parents, grandmothers, my sisters, aunts and uncles, they were all very much against our decision. But, we did it anyway.

Now our oldest child is 13 and all those people who were so against homeschooling now say that it must work very well for us. They all love our children and keep saying they deal so well with different situations/people. Friends who have children the same ages our children are, are noticing the difference even more. All the time and effort we put into homeschooling is now really paying off!

My advice for you: Don't worry about the opinion of others. Find a curriculum you will feel comfortable with, so you won't feel like you're not covering enough.
    Then, read about homeschooling (lots of research results are available, just try Google) and know for yourself why you believe this is the best decision for you.
    Last, feel confident! Many parents are homeschooling with great success. No reason why it shouldn't work for you. Show your confidence to others and stay enthousiastic about your homeschooling adventure. When you do that, those who are against homeschooling will soon enough see they may have been wrong.

Good luck!
    Danielle
    jpenn likes this.

spoileddaughteroftheking is offline Junior Member

Hi Danielle, I was so excited to read your post and see it was from someone in the Netherlands. We hosted a Dutch girl five years ago and are still great friends with her, she still comes to visit us a couple of times a year.. She told us how hard it was to homeschool there and that she had never met anyone that homeschooled before. I admire you for doing it. It's awesome the people you meet online.

littlemisschic is offline Junior Member

Don't worry about other people and what they think about home schooling. I am quite new to it myself and my family were exactly the same. My in laws have even tried to make us hire a tutor for each subject!
    Don't let them get to you, it's your choice and a mother knows whats best for your child, how could one on one teching not be better than fragmented teaching in a class of 20 kids? There are lots of people on here that will give you advice and support along the way. Good luck with your homeschooling experiance, be sure to let us know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast