I am thinking about using this program
    sdturner is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I am thinking about using this program

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and home schooling. My name is Shana and I have 4 children. 1-senior, 1-7th grader, 1 fifth grader, and 1 second grader. All of my children are in the gifted program at school. I am a certified special education teacher. I took this year off because my husband is in Iraq and so I could be there if my kids needed me. Thank God that I did.

I just recently decieded to home school my 7th grade son due to health problems. The school was not helping with all of the absences due to the issues he was dealing with, so I made the decision to pull him out.

I have been looking at this program and I have a few questions. It appears that many people experience problems understanding how to use the program. Does it just take a while to understand how to use it?

I have read tonight that there is no science or social studies for 7th graders. But I think I read in a different section that they do offer this now. Which is correct?

Are there fun activities designed for the older children or just for the younger children (computer games)?

Do you find that the older children are eager to use the program?

I am looking at this as my main source of information for home schooling and some other sources for electives. Do you find that this program is enough? I have read in other posts where there were only a few lessons in some areas.

I am going to set up the 2 week trial tomorrow I think for my son to evaluate but this might not happen until Wed due to more DRs appointments.
    I am sorry I have so many questions but this is all VERY new to me and not what I had been planning to do this year. I want to find something quick but I want to insure that it is worth while and truely educational. Thank you Shana

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Shana. Welcome to the board!

I have been looking at this program and I have a few questions. It appears that many people experience problems understanding how to use the program. Does it just take a while to understand how to use it? I have found that it takes some time to get accustomed to any new curriculum. Time4Learning is no different in that respect. By the time we had been using it six weeks, I felt I knew all the "ins and outs" of the program.

I have read tonight that there is no science or social studies for 7th graders. But I think I read in a different section that they do offer this now. Which is correct? There is currently no eighth grade social studies and no seventh or eighth grade science. Unless your seventh grader is quite advanced, he should do very well with sixth grade science and social studies (or even fifth grade). There is really no difference in "difficulty" at that level. Check out the lesson plans to see if he has mastered the material to be presented at those levels. (Most seventh graders have not.)

Are there fun activities designed for the older children or just for the younger children (computer games)? Language arts, especially, remains fun (and very, very goofy). My older kids absolutely love it, but they don't all want their friends to see them doing it. The rest of the curriculum "grows up" as the grade levels advance, but I believe it does a great job of remaining much more entertaining than a textbook, and even any other computer-based programs I have seen (which are usually basically a textbook online). And, there's always the Playground to visit between lessons!

Do you find that the older children are eager to use the program? Yes, especially if they are burnt-out on textbook learning.

I am looking at this as my main source of information for home schooling and some other sources for electives. Do you find that this program is enough? I have read in other posts where there were only a few lessons in some areas. Time4Learning would be a very complete CORE program (math, language, science and social studies) for a seventh-grader, even if you used the fifth or sixth-grade science and social studies levels. Most parents do want to add some electives. First and second grade science and social studies contain few lessons. Above that level, the subjects are very thorough.

I am going to set up the 2 week trial tomorrow I think for my son to evaluate but this might not happen until Wed due to more DRs appointments. This is the best way to evaluate the program. Most students are "hooked" after this trial.

As a new homeschooler, you might be interested in Time4Learning's Welcome to Homeschooling Guide. If you experience any problems or have additional questions, feel free to post again.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

I find that Time4Learning is a great core program. But when I say core, I mean that it's something that we build upon and supplement. For instance, for a first grader, I would add:

- a handwriting program
    - a journaling / writing program more for creative and expression and observation than for writing skills or grammar
    - a program where he needs to build his verbal expression skills including talking in front of other kids
    - plenty of phys ed, music, art, etc
    - a weekly reading program with a trip to the library. Perhaps linked in with the handwriting and journaling