I don't know what to do, need advice
    FeelingLost Guest

Unhappy I don't know what to do, need advice

Hi everyone. I've been homeschooling my kids from the beginning. My kids are now 17 and 15. For several years we used ACE paces and they worked fine. Then we moved to an area with an ACE school and enrolled them for 2 years. While it was a very small school (about 8 students) and nice at times, my children were often ignored and did not get the one on one help they needed. When we moved and and went back to homeschooling, and I learned my children were terribly behind. They were around 10 and 8 then. School has been a mess ever since. I can't keep them focused and it feels like we just keep staying behind. I've tried switching teaching methods, curriculum, etc. but nothing seems to work for long. We've tried T4L in the past, but it wasn't right at the time. I'm thinking of trying again. But my dilemma is that I don't know where to start them. My 17 year old is all over the place with his subjects (many grade levels). He hates reading and if he's not super interested in something, it doesn't seem to sink in. My 15 year old isn't so bad, but she's still not where she should be either. I've spent many nights crying because I feel like I've ruined them.

How do I salvage this? Any advice would be appreciated.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

FeelingLost, I'm so sorry you've not received a reply to your post. I've moved it over from the State Forums over here to Thinking of Using T4L, as it may get more exposure here. I'm hoping some other families will chime in. I can assure you that you are not alone in feeling the way you're feeling.

I don't know if you've already started back with Time4Learning. One of the benefits of Time4Learning is that students can work at different levels in different subjects. Time4Learning is a flexible program with the ability to adjust starting points and levels. The initial sign-up process asks for parents to fill out a short questionnaire to help determine which level will be an appropriate starting point. If at any point the work in a givenlevel seems too challenging or not challenging enough, we can easily makeadjustments to a more comfortable level for your child. I want to also suggest that build on the strengths that each of your children have, whether it be for your son building things with his hands or mechanics or computer technician, or for your daughter doing some volunteer work at a hospital or at a local school.....actually, you can switch those around. I'm just saying, find their strengths and build on that. Find out what their gifts are and seek to strengthen those areas while still working on the weak areas, like reading and writing. Time4Writing is another great program with certified one on one teaching in writing.

I also want to recommend a free site for yourself and for your kids. Lets Homeschool High School has a plethora of information and resources for homeschooling high school. Your kids can also connect with other homeschoolers on their student forums.

Please don't feel like you've ruined your kids. The fact that you're concerned alone tells me you care. A mom who cares cannot ruin her kids. I would love to hear back from you and know how you're doing.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass