I just signed up! Should I start in order?

Default I just signed up! Should I start in order?

Hi! I just signed up yesterday. When I got my kids started, I was wondering if we should start in order. Does it make a difference down the line? Or should I allow my child to choose which part of math, L/A, etc they want to go to next? Is it better to do everything in order (which is my guess)?

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com this program is great.

You can use it how ever it works for your family. For had done this program in 2007 but for personal reasons had to stop. We came back this February, we chose to jump past the math we had already covered and started where we left off w/ our other program. (math is my son's strong subject so this worked for us.)

I hope that helps. I would recommend you have some control over what your children do, if you don't they will most likely only do the stuff that is easy for them. Learning is not always easy.

Brandy
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

welcome!!! glad to have ya!!

the general rule of thumb is to go thru and see where they are. have your child do the chapter tests at the end of each lesson. if they pass with no problems, you know they've already covered that material and won't need the review, if they fail miserably, you know they haven't seen yet. somewhere in the middle? you might want to back up to a couple of lessons before that so they have a chance to see the way the material is presented.

hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

When someone asks this question, it's usually because they haven't yet found the handy flashing arrow that guides the student on his way. The program was designed to do in sequence, and that's usually the easiest way for newcomers to do it. Your student clicks on a subject icon and keeps clicking where the arrow points until he reaches a lesson activity. When that activity has been completed, the arrow points to "the next thing" in that subject.

Many parents have reasons for assigning activities in a different order and that's fine when you know why you're doing it that way. It does make navigation a bit more challenging.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you for your replies I do see now that it is much easier to 'follow the arrow'. This program is working SO great for us (it has been just a few days so far.) I tried out Time4Learning about a year ago, but my kids didn't seem independent enough on the PC yet, so I stopped after one month. Now, since they are really good with computers, they LOVE this program! It is Saturday and they are 'asking' to do it \ I always track my children's progress, and am available anytime they need my help, etc. This program takes a huge load off of me, but still allows me to be involved. I have also found that it is better for me to guide them through Science and Social Studies. I prefer this anyway, as I have always felt like Science and Social Studies can just about give you an entire curriculum if used in a crafty way I love how I can adjust the level, since a couple of my kids weak points are Math, etc. but they are strong in Science. Anyway, thanks again! I just wanted to share my thoughts