I Need a Pick-Me-Up of Reassurance...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jewelrymkr is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I Need a Pick-Me-Up of Reassurance...

For the past month and a half my plan has been to remove my children from public school during the Thanksgiving Holiday. Just seems like a decent stopping point seeing as how it's a break anyways.

My reasons for wishing to home school my children are many.

• My daughter, age 9, spends 8 hours per day in school to come home to 2-3 hours worth of homework. Where is her childhood going? Is this to be the fate of her younger brother as well?
    • Both my children make excellent grades and attain knowledge very easily. They are both honor roll students. What would happen if they had the opportunity to progress even further than they have been allowed? At public school the students that excel are often left assisting those behind. While this is a good way to teach my children responsibility, team work and teaching/assisting skills, they themselves are left continuously reviewing the same materials, waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.
    • My children are young, 9 and 7. They are smart and fun and love life. They are great kids. This year has been very trying as the other students have begun teaching my children about things that I feel is very inappropriate for their age. I want my children to enjoy their childhood and maintain their innocence for as long as they can. If you think about it, childhood is the shortest stage of your life. When I look back I think to myself how quickly my childhood was here and then gone and now I am an adult and will continue to be for the rest of my life. There is no going backwards.
    • This reason may be selfish, but honestly I just want my kids around more. The summer breaks get shorter every year, the kids are gone all day long during the school year, and I feel I just don't see them enough. We live on a 400 acre cattle farm. The land has been in my husbands family for over 200 years now. There's a lot of blood, sweat and tears poured into this farm. If the kids were here they'd get to see more of it.
    • Another thing, people aren't here on this earth forever. My grandmother recently had major lung surgery to remove cancer. Seeing her hurt like she did and how long it took for recovery made me think, "Have I been around enough?" Or "Have the kids really been around their great-grandmother enough?". While our family is here the kids should have the opportunity to be around their elders and learn from them as much as they can. Once they're gone, they're gone.

So there, those are my reasons for wanting to home school my children. Now, I have been so confident; so bent on removing them from public school until the last few days. I sat down to write my Notice of Intent and faultered (I don't know why), my mother-in-law never misses the chance to tell me how much she despises what I am about to do, and my faith in my abilities to give them all the education they need is wavering.

I am so afraid the kids won't measure up to the excellence they've been achieving at school if I home school. It's very intimidating to think, "I could royally screw up my kids".

My mother-in-law is my best friend. It hurts me that there is no faith in me to do what's right. It hurts there is no confidence. It just makes me second guess myself.

As for writing the Notice of Intent, when I sat down to do it, my heart just saddened. All I could think was I was selfishly removing my kids from something they're really good at. Their teachers adore them every year. The kids are really admired. Am I doing the right thing? So, the notice has yet to be written...

I just don't want to make this decision with a jumbled mind. I want clear-headed for sure thoughts. I just wish I knew what was the ultimate best choice for my kids. I did before so many important people to me inserted their opinions.
    Mountaineer Jewelry offers a variety of unique handcrafted jewelry. Every piece is individually designed by a member of the Swartz family in Natural Bridge, Virginia. Our handcrafted jewelry is full of enticing colors and graceful artistry. Take a moment to browse our many selections and enjoy the diversity of each jewelry design. Our 7 year old and 9 year old also enjoy taking part in our jewelry making business!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

I know how you feel! We decided when my oldest was just a baby that we'd homeschool. But yet, when all his friends went off to preschool I questioned myself. And then when what would have been his first day of kindergarten I REALLY REALLY questioned myself. I have unsupportive family as well. But what really got me was my own mother - also my best friend - when she questioned it.

But I was convicted in my heart and I charged ahead.

My mother came around! I haven't regretted the decision at all. And my children are EXCELLING! Your children will too!

You can do it! It'll be ok! And if it isn't, they can go back to school. This isn't a life sentence after all.

jewelrymkr is offline Junior Member Newbie

You're right, it's not a life-sentence and it's not set in stone. That's what I've just been saying. If it doesn't work out, they can go back. I feel better today. Just need that little extra bode of confidence. I appreciate the response. It does reassure me. To everyone out there considering the change, measure and weigh your decision and in the end the right answer will come. I know we can do this and we will!
    Mountaineer Jewelry offers a variety of unique handcrafted jewelry. Every piece is individually designed by a member of the Swartz family in Natural Bridge, Virginia. Our handcrafted jewelry is full of enticing colors and graceful artistry. Take a moment to browse our many selections and enjoy the diversity of each jewelry design. Our 7 year old and 9 year old also enjoy taking part in our jewelry making business!

bendermom is offline Junior Member Newbie

This is my first post. YAY!!

Most people that you think will be your biggest supporters, are your biggest speed bumps. If you feel lead to bring them home, do it! I totally get what you are saying about the smarter ones are teaching the slower ones. It's so true! Society has been told for so long to keep their hands off educating the children and to let the government do it. My biggest (and best) comeback when people ask why I homeschool is, "Well, the gov't is doing such a great job with everything else....why wouldn't I trust them with my son's education?"

Seriously though....it's not a life sentence is very true! Bring them home and try it out for at least 6 months. I bet they would excel! Sounds like they are awesome kids and have an amazing opportunity to learn a ton.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

First, a piece of history. I was extremely against homeschooling when my sister pulled her first child (of 10!) from school. I worried about all of those things...socialization, education quality, the over all weird factor...I was a naysayer! Then circumstance would have it, I needed to homeschool my own child. I have been in both camps, and I will tell you that the naysayers have no ground to stand on when the child does well in homeschooling. You are doing a good thing, with the best of intentions. They are not making more land, or more "elders" as you put it. Time is fleeting. Seize the opportunity to educate your children at home for the remainder of the school year. Let them get to know those relatives. Enjoy the time with them and instill in them the things that are important to you and your family. If homeschooling doesn't work out, you can always re-evaluate. I love homeschooling now, wouldn't change it for the world. My family is all on board, my daughter loves it. It was one of the best decisions for my family we ever made. I hope it will be for you, too. You can do it!!!
    Best of luck,
    Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

melaknee is offline Junior Member

I needed some reassurance, too. I am glad to read all these inspiring posts. I am thinking of taking my daughter out after Christmas break. She and I are the only ones on board with this, it is making it very hard. Jewelrymkr has so many more reasons than even I do, but I sure relate to her fears.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Melaknee,
    Remind those who are opposed to homeschooling that you just want to try it, say until the end of the school year. If it doesn't work, be willing to go back to regular school. If you are convinced and the student is on board, then think of this as a temporary solution, and make the absolute best of the time available. It is possible that by the end of the school year, those against homeschooling will be on board also. It is hard to argue with success. You can do it! Best of luck,
    Linda
    Rep, moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

When I decided to homeschool (my son was 3 years old and preschool was trying to label him ADHA. He was a typical active 3 year old but not ADHD ) my sister in law and brother in law where homeschooling their 3 boys, but in a different state. They came to visit and one of their boys had a hard time reading signs in walmart and they were old enough they should have had no problem. Well this just gave my family and my mil room to question and make a stink about me homeschooling my son. It took a lot of fighting on my part to make it clear that all children are different and learn different. My husband was behind me as long as we chose to go year to year. I finally had to tell my family that if they could not stand behind me and support me then that part of my life was off limits to them. No more comments and no more questioning our choices. My family had trouble w/ that at first, they would start and I would cut them off w/ nope not listening, did you see ER last night on tv. I was good at changing the subject. That was in 2003 that we officially started K. Now my family is very supportive even though my son struggles w/ reading himself. They now look for ways to help me or if they come across something educational they share it w/ us.

I hope that encourages you to follow your heart and your child's heart.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi All- better late to the party then not at all so did you end up pulling your daughter from school? I can only tell you that I wished that I had pulled my oldest out sooner to homeschool. He was labeled with learning disabilities but after homeschooling for 3+ years I don't see it. He just learns a different way then the norm, is all. And he was in 5th grade when I pulled him out! my youngest only went to kindergarten before pulling him and he was labeled average only to test after the first year two grades above the grade he was in.
    I have enjoyed (most days having them home with me, they wouldn't be the same kids that they are today if I had left them in school. Listening to other moms with kids in the system for middle school they really just lost touch with their kids and that is something I can say that I haven't lost!
    My husband was on board from the beginning but our family back in MO wasn't, but I didn't really listen to their negative comments. You know what is best for your kids and what you want them to learn. Thats the difference bewteen sending your kids to school or homeschooling the choices of how to educate them.

Best of luck and everyone else is right it isn't set in stone that you have to homeschool them forever, but you may surprise yourself
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

melaknee is offline Junior Member

Thank you Linda, keep posting, friends, I want to hear how it is going with all of you. I am so close to making the decision to HS. I am so worried about so many things, one of them being most of my closest girlfriends are all members of the PTA and huge PS cheerleaders. I am going to feel like the odd one out of the group, another huge thing is we would have to Google everything we don't understand. I was never a good student, totally fell through the cracks, so I know for a fact I do not have the smarts to get her through a lot of the math, etc. I am quite lazy and unmotivated and fear my DD and I will just lounge around, and so is everyone else. She just turned 8 and seems to be going on 11, we have not been getting along like we used to, so that worries me too. Just rambling....
    Melanie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast