I want to Homeschool, but I can't....
    Godfrey123 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I want to Homeschool, but I can't....

Trying to keep the details down, but my son 6 1/2 has Aspergers. We moved out to an area that has a reputation for high functioning autism, but they don't see him that way. Officially, he has a number of cognitive skills in the less than 1st percentile. Officially, he can't count to 10 and can't read. At home, he has no problems with 1-1000 and has taught himself the medical names of nearly every bone in the human body as well as all major organs and their function. I'm worn out and I know my son will thrive with one-on-one mentoring only I can give him. Even his mother doesn't have the skills or patience to handle him on a consistent basis.

The problem is my wife works retail and I'd have to leave my job to do it, and If I do we're broke. Affording T4L, let alone our mortgage is not feasible. We already don't have cell phone/cable bills, and grow a lot of our own food, and only 1 small car payment. There's no where to save more money because we're already very frugal. If I find a part time job, it will be for probably less than a quarter of what I'm making now, and we wouldn't be able to take him to augmented social events like Cub Scouts to keep him from becoming a hermit. He actually displays no social inhibitions what so ever and I don't want that to change. Plus, with my wife's inconsistent retail schedule we'd probably need a baby sitter that would take away any money I could make from a part time job,

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Any advice that doesn't include uprooting our lives and moving to a dangerous neighbourhood just so that I can afford to homeschool him?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Godfrey. If you would need a babysitter without public school, there's no way to get around that expense except to find free babysitting. You don't have to quit your job to homeschool, though. A six-year-old can be taught in an hour or two a day . . . only part of that with the parent sitting right there beside him. Each state has its own homeschool laws, but I'm not aware of any that say what time of day you must teach your child. After dinner is a perfectly legitimate time for school work.

Homeschooling in general takes far less time than traditional school. This is because there is no time spent on "crowd control" (taking attendance, lining up to go to the cafeteria, assemblies, waiting your turn to use classroom equipment) and because a student can move right on to the next subject without needing to wait until the end of a designated class period. For instance, on days your child only has a ten-question math test for math, he might finish in ten minutes and can go right on to his language arts lesson. In traditional school, he would spend the whole fifty minute "math" period in math (probably drawing or reading a book while he waits for the other students to finish their tests).

In addition, you will probably arrange for him to have music lessons or participate in organized sports. These can "count" as music and P.E., without taking up any time that you've designated for homeschool.

Here is an article called How Long is a Homeschool Day.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 05-03-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

I worked full-time outside of the home and attended school while homeschooling 2 children, so it can be done in just a couple hours a day. Especially using Time4Learning! I worked days, my husband worked nights. That way, we didn't need child care.

marianes is offline Junior Member

I agree that the actual amount of "official" time for a 6 year old is a lot shorter than you might think, and you could even count a longer day if you include incidental learning and teachable moments that you incorporate into the regular day, like shopping, playtime, laundry sorting, etc. One of the best lessons I've ever had with my daughter was about the scientific principles of water displacement, and happened spontaneously while washing the dishes. It was great

If cost is also a factor for you, and it seems that it is, you can also look into other options such as Khan Academy and online public schools like K12 and Connections Academy.

The bottom line is that you do have a lot more options than you might think, and with some planning and research, if you truly believe homeschooling is for you, then you can definitely pull it off.

Good luck!

Kayla W is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Godfrey, My best suggestion is that you go ahead and put your son in this school. Just be sure they are aware of how advanced he is in his abilities at home. Many autistic kids function dramatically differently in different settings; the school should be used to that. From my point of view, it's very important for him to learn to function as well as possible away from home, with people other than family -- and this is something the school can work on, especially if they have an accurate picture what he can do at home that he's not doing at school (or on their testing!). In fact, this is something the school can work on better than you can! Hopefully they can get him functioning better at school reasonably quickly and then he can join their good high-functioning program and get the benefits of participating in it.

So with your son in school, you can continue to work and earn the money your family needs. And your son's going to school will provide "respite time" for your wife.

Along with having your son in school, I suggest you sign up for T4L and do some work with your son at home, advancing his skills. You'll have to figure out exactly how much time and energy you can put into this, while you are working full time. Perhaps you'll be able to do only half an hour of T4L with your son on your workdays, and a couple of hours on each of your days off from work. He sounds like he's got the intelligence to benefit from this much academic work at home, even though he could progress faster if your situation allowed you to do more. Also, once you've got him "in the groove" of doing some work on T4L, it may be that he can sit at the computer and do some work on T4L after school and before you get home in the evening, with a little help and supervision from your wife.

I hope this is helpful!