Info Please

Thread: Info Please

KatieG83 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Info Please

I would like to start homeschooling my 4 year, but I have no idea how to start. What do I need to do? Where do I get books and materials? Who do I contact? Please give me the low down on everything I need to do to get started. Thankyou

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Katie, and congrats on your decision to homeschool. I think you will love it! Each state has different rules for homeschooling. Here is the link to the VA state forum. Place this same post there and I am sure you will get lots of replies. Also, here is an e-book for families new to homeschooling. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming. This link gives info on homeschooling in VA.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'll address the books and materials portion

When I first made the decision to homeschool, I googled "homeschool curriculum" and automatically became overwhelmed with all the options. After a lot of research, I finally chose this program - easy to use for the kids, easy record keeping for me, an extremely affordable price - just can't beat all of that! I've added a few things over the years, as the children have grown and their interests have varied. I google "writing prompts" for them to use as journals (writing is very very important!!!!!), I've even used a History for Dummies book! You use what is best for your family - and every single family is different

My best advice is to find a homeschool group in your area. You can do this by either going through the state education site, or even googling. Sometimes, if you call local churches, they will have a congregant that homeschools and will know of who to call close to home ... even if you're not religious, they still may have some good leads for you. Meet with the groups, see first-hand the different ways people do things.

You don't have to have all of the answers *today* and that is one of the most important things to hold on to. It is very very easy to get overwhelmed. It is very easy to panic and feel that you're unqualified and unprepared. Even veterans have days like these, I assure you - those feelings are normal. Just take a deep breath, a step back, and make a list of your questions. We're always ready to help here, even if you don't use T4L as your curriculum.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!