Internet Connections?
    sc00b3rt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Internet Connections?

I was considering this as a viable program for my children, however I noticed that it recommends having a high speed or DSL connection, which adds about 30-60 to the monthly out of pocket expense. Is anyone here using dial up and having success or is high speed internet an absolute must? If so what is the minimum speeds (the phone company offers about 5 different speeds, cable 2 speeds, and satelite is one all of them at significantly different prices).

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Wow - $30 to $60 a month more than your dial up costs? Are you sure about that? Prices have come down considerably on high speed connections in most places. We pay less now for the top tier cable access (10Mb up) than we did for dial up years ago. You just might want to check again if you haven't for a while.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Dialup causes slow loading, but the lessons usually run okay after they're loaded. Time4Learning does have users with dialup. A high speed connection is recommended for optimal performance.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sc00b3rt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by witchly
    Wow - $30 to $60 a month more than your dial up costs? Are you sure about that? Prices have come down considerably on high speed connections in most places. We pay less now for the top tier cable access (10Mb up) than we did for dial up years ago. You just might want to check again if you haven't for a while.
    Yep. We currently pay $9.95 for dial up.

Just to get the really low end DSL connection costs $32 a month (I think its 256k).

The next level available is 1Mb at $37 a month.

If I want to get the cable access starting tier its about $60 a month IF we have cable, otherwise they tac on an additional fee for just basic (like $13 a month).

These fees of course do not include all the added taxes and other rental fees they take on each month. I had broadband service many years ago and the taxes/fees were close to an extra $10 per month. So that low $32 becomes more like $42 when all is said and done.

Trust me I have checked because there is nothing worse than having dial-up. With the prices of gas skyrocketing, grocery prices going up, utilities going up, etc. we are already on an ultra tight budget (single parent and two kids).

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Do you live in a town with a larger public library? If you have one that has a separate children's area with computers, you may be able to access their computers for very little and often they are equipped with higher speed connections.

I don't think it would be the end of the world if you used dial up. We used to have regular cable but downgraded to DSL speed cable and it's slower but not terrible. [I think we average about twice as fast as dial up.] Based on that, the lessons load very quickly for us, so even if it took twice as long, it wouldn't be unbearable or anything. If nothing else, the kids could use the "loading breaks" as time to do stretches or jumping jacks. I know our kids get up periodically to do that anyway. HTH
    Melissa.

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

We have dial-up. It is our only option because high speed is not available where we live. My daughter can do everything online with the time4learning except math. It will not load even after an hour of trying so we go to my mom's about 20 minutes away 3 days a week and she works on her math there. It makes her have to do more math on those days but it works out just fine. Sometimes we will go to town about 10 minutes away and use the WiFi.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2