Intro and question regarding good beginning readers
    seth99 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Intro and question regarding good beginning readers

We have been using T4L since mid-January, and it is great for us. We use it as our main curriculum along with mini lessons that I do to reinforce everything. We are in our second year of homeschooling, my son is 7, and it has released a lot of stress from us both. My son was born with a brain injury and as a result has some developmental delay issues. We are plugging our way through the 1st grade curriculum. I was a teacher before I was a mom, and I really enjoy the progression of the Reading/Language Arts. I just wish I had found this program last year!! I do have a question. Does anyone recommend any good beginning readers for a child who is just learning to read? We have tried the Bob books and have some Frontline phonics, but am curious if there is a good set out there? Also, does anyone use a spelling program for the 1st grade level? I am sorry if that has already been posted. I really look forward to sharing with everyone.

Thanks so much,
    Angie and Seth

mom2jjdd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Intro and question regarding good beginning readers

>Does anyone recommend any good beginning readers for a child who is just learning to read? ... Also, does anyone use a spelling program for the 1st grade level? <

My kids all enjoyed the Dick and Jane books. The Treasury of Dick and Jane is great (though the order is off...part 1, part 3, part 2). There are quite a few "sight words", but they are repeated very frequently to aid retention. My kids loved the illustrations, and it seemed to reduce the boredom of many early readers. We progressed from these into Dr. Seuss.

www.onlinereadingteacher.com uses the Dick and Jane books and overlays phonics, but if you have a teaching background, you wouldn't need her help (she basically just teaches to introduce the phonics of each new word as its presented). She also has a spelling program for first grade, though it involves a lot of repeated writing that my boys were not capable of doing. We're now trying Spell to Write and Read since my boys struggle with writing and spelling.
    --Deidre

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

As for beginning readers, all three of my kids love Dr. Seuss books. In fact, my 9 yo still reads them and my 12 yo will often read them TO her. They have a whole line of Beginning Readers besides the more challenging ones. As for spelling, I'm currently looking into Spell to Write and Read. It comes highly recommended for children with learning difficulties (on a dyslexia board I am on) though I've not tried it yet. (Also, it is geered toward all ages, or so I've read.)

Good luck and welcome!