Just a few questions....and then I'll add more later. :)
    Jennifer_Lindsey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Just a few questions....and then I'll add more later. :)

Hi there,

I've got a fourth grader being assessed for autism next month. The battle with the school has been very long, which is probably nothing new to this forum so I will spare you the details. We determined a couple of years ago (officially) that she has dyslexia and fine motor issues.

I'm going to be quitting my job and homeschooling her starting the fourth grade year over again. I realize that the ultimate decision of what course to use will have to wait until after her assessment, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far with the T4L!

Here are a few, probably overly redundant, questions that are stalking my brain.

- What do I have to do to make Michigan okay with the fact that I'm homeschooling?

- Is T4L an all inclusive online course? What will I need to expect to purchase aside from the monthly dues?

- Is there some kind of testing offered or required to be sure we're on track with standard expectations?
    My mind went blank. I finally find a minute to throw it all out there and then this? LOL. Well, this will get me going for now. I'm pretty excited, scared, and hopeful with this new venture. I know she is thrilled for various reasons to be getting a new start.

Thanks in advance for your insight. I can't wait to get in the forward motion with this. The stress before the leap is obnoxious!!

Thanks again,

Jenny.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Jenny, and welcome to the T4L family. We are so glad to have you visit us.

You summed up most everyone's feelings when they first start out: excited, scared, and hopeful.

It is certainly an adventure that takes time...time to learn your needs and your daughter's needs. I would suggest a little deschooling before embarking on all out homeschooling. You need it!

T4L is aligned to state and national standards. It can be used as a core curriculum or as a supplement. That all depends on your child's needs. Some folks add handwriting, field trips, co-op classes, and electives to the mix. I will also add that about 20% of our users are special needs learners. My daughter has ADHD, Dyslexia, and CAPD and used the program successfully for over 3 years.

I would encourage you to visit the Special Needs Forum, and the Michigan State Forum will most likely have answers about what you need to do in order to homeschool.

There is a free homeschooling guide offered as an e-book located in the upper right hand corner of this page. The material is comprehensive without being overwhelming. It was written by homeschooling families for new homeschooling families.

I would also suggest you check out Vocabulary Spelling City, Learning Games for Kids, Homeschool Literature, and Vocabulary Is Fun. All are free to use and are excellent. Homeschool literature even has an online book club. These sites are super for supplementing the program. They are academically sound, yet fun.

Be sure to keep us updated, and best wishes to you.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Jackie is awesome - I agree with everything she said. but I want to add that if annual testing is important to you, you can usually go to your public school system to take the same tests they do, or find other comprehensive testing done online. Just search "standardized testing for ____ grade".

good luck and welcome!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

tennismom is offline Junior Member

Default disturbing pop up on learning games for kids

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    Hi Jenny, and welcome to the T4L family. We are so glad to have you visit us.

You summed up most everyone's feelings when they first start out: excited, scared, and hopeful.

It is certainly an adventure that takes time...time to learn your needs and your daughter's needs. I would suggest a little deschooling before embarking on all out homeschooling. You need it!

T4L is aligned to state and national standards. It can be used as a core curriculum or as a supplement. That all depends on your child's needs. Some folks add handwriting, field trips, co-op classes, and electives to the mix. I will also add that about 20% of our users are special needs learners. My daughter has ADHD, Dyslexia, and CAPD and used the program successfully for over 3 years.

I would encourage you to visit the Special Needs Forum, and the Michigan State Forum will most likely have answers about what you need to do in order to homeschool.

There is a free homeschooling guide offered as an e-book located in the upper right hand corner of this page. The material is comprehensive without being overwhelming. It was written by homeschooling families for new homeschooling families.

I would also suggest you check out Vocabulary Spelling City, Learning Games for Kids, Homeschool Literature, and Vocabulary Is Fun. All are free to use and are excellent. Homeschool literature even has an online book club. These sites are super for supplementing the program. They are academically sound, yet fun.

Be sure to keep us updated, and best wishes to you.
    I am new to homeschooling and I am reading everything that I can get my hands on. I was loving the "learning games for kids" sight until an ad showed up to the right of the game I was playing with a very seductive half dressed woman. Does anyone know how we can stop these sights from allowing this trash??