Language Arts

Thread: Language Arts

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Default Language Arts

I know I'm a total newbie here (my 7th grade son just started yesterday) but I was wondering what ILA meant in the LA section.

Btw, he got up early and worked 4 hours straight this morning. When I told him he could stop now (I didn't want him to get burned out,) he said, "This was fun!" I'm doing the "mom did the right thing!" dance to myself right now. Lol!

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

"ILA" is a new term that refers to thematic or Integrated units.

Typically in these units, there are two sections. The first section is built around a reading section with some pre-reading exercises and then some followup questions. Generally, it's focused on building reading comprehension skills.

The section section deals more generally with language art skills. In the younger grades, there is alot of phonics and vocabularly. Later on, it's more grammar, punctuation, writing skills, fluency, and vocabularly.

The other units are considered skills units.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Thank you! That is very interesting. Now I want him to hurry to get to one. Lol!