Language Arts

Thread: Language Arts

LOU5712002 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Language Arts

Im thinking of becoming a member to help my son improve his comprehension of written tests/multiple choice questions. He is in the 3rd grade and doing very well overall but needs alot of improvement in choosing the right answer for the questions asked. What does T4L offer in terms of reading a few paragraphs and answering questions. Basically what Im asking is, can he read something and take a quiz each time? What is the platform style? Can he read stuff and demonstrate his comprehension? Looking at the Demos I can say Im not intrigued to have him looking at unrealistic material (cartoons/animation everything) Please Help!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

To give you an example, my daughter's 3rd grade Language Arts lesson on reading comprehension has a story about a girl named Narita who goes to sleep after chewing gum and wakes up with gum in her hair. She screams. Her mom dashes into the room. Her mom is shocked. Then her mom smiles and says, "Narita, were you chewing gum in bed last night?"
    It follows with the character asking, "What's the next thing that happens after Narita wakes up and screams?" And gives several options.
    In another example, an email is read out loud and then the student is asked to select a subject line. One of the answer options is "I don't know". If my daughter selects this answer, the character says, "Not to worry...." and continues with a more lengthy explanation. If, however, she chooses the correct answer, the character says something like, "Yes, that's the correct choice. I'm wondering why you didn't choose the other answers?" And then gives the student options like:
    It's too short
    It doesn't have the right details
    It has incorrect information

Both 3rd grade and 4th grade have reading comprehension and process skills in the lessons. So if you think 3rd grade is too simplistic, you can try the 4th grade level.
    My daughter has been learning and progressing well with Time4learning.

The objective of the reading comprehension lessons for 3rd grade
    teaches comprehension strategies to literary and expository texts. Third graders learn to identify and write about the characters, setting, plot, main idea and supporting details of a story. They learn about sequential order, fact and opinion, cause and effect, author’s purpose, inferences, and comparing and contrasting story elements.

Time4Learning does offer a 14-day money back guarantee. It's also a month by month membership with no contract and no hidden fees. So if you find that it's not the right curriculum for your son, you can cancel at any time.
    I hope it works for your son, though.

Best wishes...and please don't hesitate to ask any questions any time.
    Oh, if you decide to try Time4Learning, I found this link very helpful in learning to navigate the site my first year with T4L (we've been with T4L 5 years now). Hints and Helps on Getting Started
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 02-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass