License to Homeschool??
    Geddonn777 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default License to Homeschool??

My husband told me that someone told him that you need a"license" to teach homeschool to your kids? Is this true? I've never heard this before. I'm from state of NJ.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Each state has different laws, I am unsure of those for NJ (I'm in Florida). We have a NJ thread, I'm sure someone from there can chime in. When I need to double check our legal information, I go to the school board's website for my county, and they list out all of the requirements there. What I can tell you is that, as far as I know, most states don't require any licensing whatsoever. The basic requirements for most states is that you are teaching *your* child (as opposed to a child belonging to a friend or relative), and that you notify the school board that you will be homeschooling, and then follow up with them in regards to testing or evaluation for your child. Please let us know if we can help clear up any thing beyond this.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

I would like to point you to the New Jersey Homeschooling site so you can check out some of the great sources on there.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi, I am the moderator of the New Jersey forum. Come on over and join us. If you look at the top of the page you will see a link that says, "State Forums". Click on that and then click on New Jersey in the drop down menu. I don't know where your husband got his information from. I have been homeschooling in New Jersey for four years now. This is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. There are basically no requirements. If your child has never been in school you don't have to do anything at all. Just teach your child. You are required by law to teach children similar subjects to those taught in public schools. But how and when you teach them is entirely up to you. You don't report what you're doing to anyone at all. No reporting, no testing, no qualifications for teachers. If your child has been in school you need to write a letter telling them that your child will not be returning. Some school districts will try to tell you that you have to have your curriculum approved by them. This is also not true. The only time you ever have to show anything is if someone accuses you of educational neglect. This is when the wonderful reports that time4learning has come in handy. I print them out as my son finishes each course and keep them in a notebook. That way if anyone ever does question anything, I can just pull that out and show them what we have done. Read the NJ law for yourself and you will see that it clearly states that there are no qualifications for you to teach your own child.

Welcome to time4learning and to homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow, Kathi!!! That really is easy!!!! If y'all could get rid of the snow, I'd move up there to homeschool
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!