Looking to Homeschool my Autistic 10yr old.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amyt49

Thread: Looking to Homeschool my Autistic 10yr old.

amyt49 is offline Junior Member

Default Looking to Homeschool my Autistic 10yr old.

I'm new to this. I live in Las Vegas. My son will be going to middleschool next year. We want to homeschool him. Does anyone know anything about Connections Academy? Am considering enroling him there and using Time 4 Learning as a supliment.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Amy. We use Time4Learning as our primary curriculum. We're very happy with the math and language arts, and just supplement the social studies and science a bit with some good books. But my daughter is in the middle elementary grades. I hear the science for middle school is very comprehensive and doesn't need supplementing.

I did find this other forum thread that asked the same question about Connections Academy. I've never used it. I like the flexibility T4L affords us to work at our own pace. I hope someone else will chime in here with their experience.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

amyt49 is offline Junior Member

Hi Janet. Thak you so much for the link to the other thread. I read quite a bit. There is one thing they all say. It isn't as flexible as they advertise. My son is special needs. Connections apparently doesn't allow for that. Thanks again I appreciate the input.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, amyt49,

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to find out before you started. I know how that is. My daughter also has special needs. Time4Learning has been perfect for us because it's flexible. She can work at her own pace and repeat lessons when necessary to grasp concepts better or for additional practice. I mentioned above that she is in the middle elementary grades. It's because of her special needs. She works at different levels for different subjects. So that's another benefit. We're not bound to one grade level across the board for every subject. We've tried so many different curricula, and this has been the best for us. Each child is different. I know because she's my youngest of 3 whom I've homeschooled, and each one has a different learning style. So I understand how Connections Academy may be wonderful for one child, but Time4Learning is perfect for my child. I'm just so glad we found it!

Since you want to homeschool your son, I'm sure you've been researching the laws on homeschooling in your state. Here is a free copy to a Welcome to Homeschooling Guide that Time4Learning offers. You may find that quite helpful with questions on homeschooling. It was written by veteran moms who use T4L.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 04-29-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Day

Hi Amy, I have been homeschooling my 2 autistic children, as well as my other child for 11 years, one thing I can tell you is that homeschooling an autistic child is most certainly a challenge! I wish you the best in that challenge! I hope that you have arranged for other sources of OT and PT that he will be missing out on in public school, if you need resources for that let me know! Over the last 11 years I have used MANY programs to school my children, the last was the K12 program; I used it for 2 years. I found the K12 program to be too tedious for my autistic children, and my other daughter found it very boring. I have to admit, that I LOVE time4learning. They can go at their own pace, or you can give them schedules, and the best part for them is that it keeps their interest by typing and not having to interact with other people. A major drawback is that they don't get to interact with other people, lol. My son used the Connections Academy last year, along with a boy that I homeschooled for his parents (long story, some people should just not homeschool!), anyway, the Connections Academy is ok, if you are going to put in a lot of time as a parent, if you are not going to do that, than you should not do that program. They give your child work to do, and leave it to you, without a lesson plan, to teach it to them. I did not like the lack of true lesson planning, which I am not very good at. For an autistic child, I would highly recommend Time4learning! I really LOVE this site and have now used it for 2 years. My youngest is dyslexic and autistic, and she has flown through the work, she was 2 grades behind because of her dyslexia and her inability to read. I initially tried public schools when I found out she was severely dyslexic, they failed her from 1st grade, and taught her nothing. I eventually had to hire special private tutors to teach her to read, but with time4learning, she not only caught back up, she is now working on being a year ahead. It has really helped her shine, and she has done it all at her own pace without feeling the least bit pressured. She even logs in and does her history and math for "fun"! I would most definitely recommend it for homeschooling an autistic child. Just make sure that you check on his plan, and make sure he understands it, sometimes they go through so fast, and have so much fun, that they don't actually absorb the information. Supplementing this program is a good idea for that reason, you really don't need another program outside of this one. I also make them redo any work that they get less than 100% on, it helps them to truly understand what is being taught to them. This program is great, we all really love it! Good luck with your homeschooling!

Ernestine is offline Junior Member

I hear you! Think seriously about pulling my child out of the public school system too. He is ten and has FAS.(Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.) tho has been mainstreamed in regular classroom.; first couple of years he had an IEP, then no IEP with "accommodations". Math is his weakest area as he don't get cause and affect and has info. Processing problems.He a slow eater and sometimes doesn't eat if other kids are done(just a few of the examples besides starting to be a target for bullying!I feel like the system has failed him this year? He very much a hands on kid and does good on computer. Trying to find also a homeschool group in or around the Madison Co. il area.

taljel is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi. I am also a mom of a 10 yr old about to be 11 son. He has autism spectrum disorder and anxiety and I am wanting to home school next yr for his 6th middleschool year. He was only aloud to go for 3 hours this past year and I feel I can do better at home. I am researching using this also for the 4 main subjects. then I can add my own art, and other activities.