Lots of questions!
    KristenMarble is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Lots of questions!

Hello! I am a homeschooling mom of 10 and we are seriously looking at T4L this year for school. I have a couple questions as I think seriously about signing up for this program for our kiddos.

1. Is there any sort of pre-test available so as to appropriately place kids? Several of our kids have been internationally adopted, and so their age doesn't necessarily match their grade level. I have a good idea about their skills, but am finding it challenging to figure out how best to place them in appropriate grade level with the T4L program.

2. If once I place them in a program and it is way too easy or too hard can I change it?

3. Is it possible for a child to be working at widely variant levels across subjects? For example, I have a child who is a great reader and speller, but struggles with math. Can she do 5/6 spelling/language arts and yet still work at 3/4 for math?

4. Is there a limit as to how many lessons a child progresses through? I have at least one student who would want to challenge herself to "finish" several years, and would do so quite easily. Will she be limited as to how many lessons/activities she can "do" in a year's time period?

5. Having always homeschooled our kids, critical, high-level thinking is a big priority for me. How much of T4L is rote, basic factual learning and how much could be identified as critical thinking?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to all these questions!!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't have all the answers, but will tell you what I can. It's been so long since my daughter first joined, but I do believe there is a placement test of sorts. Your child will have access to three grade levels within each subject. For example, if you have a child that you placed at 5th grade level, he will have access to 4th, 5th, and 6th within each subject. The levels are at the top right of each page. It is not hard to change the main grade level. You can do that through your parent admn. page.

Your child can progress as slowly or as quickly as they wish. There is no limit.

These links might also answer some questions for you:

Hints and Help

Getting Started with Time4Learning
    Joyfully,
    Jackie