many questions????
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By angeleyes1307

Thread: many questions????

scoutmama38 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default many questions????

ok so I have been told that if my daughter (who will be in 8th grade) does homeschooling for say 1 year and doesnt like it then when she goes back to public school she will have to start a grade below what she is in homeschool? Is this true? Do they have to take a test to return to public to school to determine what grade level they are at?

Is homeschooling expensive? Where do I get the books and supplies?

So homeschoolers test once a year? Standard state test??

I am just lost I need all the help and advice I can get.

Thanks

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Scoutmama38.

It's good you have a lot of questions. Homeschooling can seem a bit scary because it's unfamiliar territory. My first advice would be to go to the library and borrow books on homeschooling or get on Google and search homeschooling or new to homeschooling. Second advice would be "don't try to imitate school at home." Third, "get to know your child and her style of learning." Does she like reading, textbooks, workbooks? Is she a visual learner, a hands-on learner? These things will help you choose the right curriculum for her.

Let me start by suggesting you find out what the homeschool laws and requirements are in your state. I see you're in North Carolina. A good source of information is the Homeschool Legal Defense Association...or HSLDA. This is a PDF of NC Homeschool Laws found at HSLDA web site. If you have questions after reading the law as outlined, then I would call HSLDA and ask them.

I can't answer your question about your daughter taking a test if she goes back to public school or what grade she'll be placed in because I'm not familiar with your state homeschool requirements. Have you looked at the North Carolina T4L forum? If you call your local school board, please be aware that you may be misinformed. This has been our experience with ours. This is why I say the best source is the Homeschool Legal Defense Association. Another great source of information for me has been my State homeschool association. In North Carolina it would be North Carolinians for Home Education. The best source would always be someone who is familiar with homeschooling.

My other recommendation would be to get connected or contact a local homeschool support group. North Carolina is a large state, so I'll give you this link to find one near you. They can help answer your questions about homeschooling and get you and your daughter connected with other homeschool families through meetings, field trips, classes, and clubs or groups such as P.E., Drama club, yearbook club, etc. Another good source for local homeschool events in NC is this website.

To answer your question about curriculum, Time4Learning, where you posted this question, is a curriculum for pre-school through high school. It's especially helpful for new homeschoolers there is no 'lesson planning' required. Also, Time4Learning scores your student's work. You can view and print the progress reports for your own records. I would suggest you try Time4Learning in the summer and see how your daughter likes it. It is a month to month membership. Time4Learning is 19.95/month for 8th grade and below. For High School the cost is $30/mo. for 4 courses, and $5 for any additional course. If you have any questions regarding grade placement or anything else, please don't hesitate to call T4L at 888-771-0914.

Of course, T4L is not the only curriculum used by homeschoolers. Homeschooling can be expensive, depending on the curriculum you choose. It is possible to homeschool and keep it within your budget. Your local or state homeschool association can be a good source of information for curriculum. You can also Google 'homeschool curriculum' and be overwhelmed with the many selections. Every state also has a Homeschool Convention where they also have an exhibit hall of the many curriculum available to choose from in display, along with great speakers and workshops for homeschooling families. In addition, most local homeschool groups have information at their first meeting for new homeschoolers where they answer many of the questions new homeschoolers have.

As for the question on testing homeschoolers, what we do in our state is we have our kids tested by a certified teacher. Most homeschoolers choose a certified teacher who is also a homeschooler or is familiar with homeschooling so they are objective. Some certified teachers may have negative ideas about homeschooling. I think it may be because they went through many years of training to be a teacher and do not feel a parent may be qualified to teach. Not all feel that way of course. I've homeschooled my kids 13 years. I just graduated my first and she scored very well on her ACTs and SATs....and I'm not a certified teacher.

Lastly, let me give you this link to a Welcome to Homeschool Guide. This was written by veteran homeschool moms.

I know I gave you a lot to look into. I hope you find what you're looking for. Please don't hesitate to come back and ask more questions.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 06-04-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

angeleyes1307 is offline Member

There is no state-wide policy in NC as far as what grade a student goes into going from homeschool to public school; it is up to the discretion of the district they are entering. Contact the school directly and find out what their policy is, usually (from my understanding) they do some kind of test/evaluation to see where they are and go from there.
    I am new to homeschooling and mine are small, but I did 2 years of research before taking this leap, so I am happy to share what I have learned. The links provided by lovehmschlg3 above are great, and let me add my endorsement to HSLDA. Becoming a member basically puts a lawyer on retainer for any paperwork/legal issues that may come up regarding homeschooling. Will probably never need them, but that was a huge worry off of my mind.
    As far as curriculum, NC is a great state. They don't care. Do what is right for her. Keep attendance and immunization records, take a standardized test every year (doesn't matter what one or how she does, she just has to take it). I personally am using T4L, the local library, and field trips; a very relaxed style. Customize it to what she likes. There are people who pay a great deal of money to get very intensive programs (ABeka comes to mind quickly) with a lot of success. Part of the advantage of homeschooling is that you don't have to duplicate a classroom in your house any more than you feel appropriate. Have confidence that you know your daughter and her needs better than anybody else and embrace the journey.
    lovehmschlg likes this.