Mid School Curriculum Change
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RhondaL

Thread: Mid School Curriculum Change

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Default Mid School Curriculum Change

Hi. My name is Rhonda and I have a 9 year old son in the third grade. I have been home schooling him his whole life and as of late things have been getting difficult. It's a struggle most days to get him to complete the work sheets that we have always used. I'm at the end of ideas on how to get him to learn. I've been wondering if a complete online curriculum (maybe with a few work sheets scattered in) may be a better fit for him. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and ELD (Expressive Language Disorder) which makes writing and expressing himself verbally very difficult and in turn he is a bit behind his grade level standards (that worries me only in the fact that I know the longer it happens the further behind he will fall if we can't figure out a solution for him)...

I guess, ultimately, my question is whether it is wise to switch to a new curriculum in the middle of the school year.

I really want to do what is best for him and, right now, what we are doing isn't working anymore.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

As far as switching mid-year, only you can answer that question. Here are some things to consider.

How does he handle change? Do you school year round? (JMHO, but while all children benefit by at least doing a little reading and math over the summer, this is especially true of children with learning differences.) Since he is a little behind, could you push the restart button and start at the beginning of third grade? If you back up to the beginning of grade 3 where he is successful and feeling confident and move forward from there, the boost in self-esteem may motivate him.

With T4L there is a big jump between 2nd and 3rd grade science and social studies, but I wouldn't worry about these two subjects. Look at what is available on T4L and what is required by your state and see how you can utilize T4L to meet those requirements.

With math and English you want to move him forward with mastery. Social studies and elementary school science are survey subjects. Even if he has very little science and social studies in elementary school, he will be able to jump into junior high science and social studies. This is not true if math and English.

I don't know how he deals with change and switching mid-year, but, if he is having problems with verbal and written output, it does sound like you may need to switch away from worksheet based learning. T4L's LA and math may help with some of that. You may also want to check into project based learning.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I'm lucky that my little man handles change really well (this is not the first time I have changed a curriculum mid school year, but they have all been paper based and I could insert him in where he happened to be in the work and just go from there - I've never tried anything online). I have not (full out) schooled year round, but during the summer I have always made him do some kind of review work each day so he doesn't forget from one year to the next.

I have noticed that the few learning programs (games) or apps that he has used really seem to engage him and he does really well - that's the main reason I started looking into online programs.

As for state requirements, I'm not worried, this program will more than adequately fulfill all the state requirements (though I will probably add trips to the library to cover more history, but that is not required by the state).

Project based learning is not something I have come across - I will definitely have to research that and possibly implement some of that as well.

I appreciate the advice - restarting the school year hadn't crossed my mind, but I think you may very well be right in that his confidence may be boosted if he begins with things he has already covered and knows before moving into content that is new. We had gotten a late start this school year anyway, so we would not be set back that far in restarting. Carrying into the summer is sometimes a necessary evil for us anyway, so that wouldn't be new

I look forward to meeting more people as I'm about to go sign us up!

Thank You
    Rhonda

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, RhondaL.

I have a daughter with Down syndrome. So she has developmental/cognitive challenges. She also has challenges with expressive language. Time4Learning has been such a benefit for her. I like that we have 3 grade levels to choose from for each subject, which allows her to learn at her own pace. She wasn't learning with textbooks, and workbooks were too rote for her. She wasn't retaining and she was just doing the work to get it done. I was so relieved to find T4L 5 years ago. It has been such a change. She actually enjoys doing school. The animated and interactive lessons keep her engaged. For my daughter, repeating lessons has been so helpful. She is able to work independently at times. I'll go back and review the progress reports. If she's scored low on something, I'll simply go back and repeat the lesson with her.

I would certainly recommend changing something that's not working, even if it's mid-year. You may have to supplement history and science. So you could still use what you have now for those two subjects to supplement.

Since you mention that he's having difficulty with expressive language and writing. You may want to look into Time4writing. The course on sentence structure may be helpful for him. Time4Writing also has lots of free resources for parents and students.

Best wishes. I'd love to hear back from you how he's doing with whatever you choose to do.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

We have completed the first week of T4L assignments. I think he may actually have learned more in this past week than he has since we began school in September. We struggled some when he had to write in a notebook... he definitely like typing and doing everything on the computer. I am so very happy that we found this. Looking forward to continuing for the rest of the school year and seeing how it goes.
    lovehmschlg likes this.