Need advise want to home school my son.
    April Hare Sweat is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need advise want to home school my son.

We currently live in South Carolina but are moving to Texas in June. I want to home school my son and all the online schooling (K-12.com) is requiring that my son be enrolled for at least a year at public school in Texas. If not then we have to go with a private online school and they want $5000 a year. I do not want to do this. My son is currently in the 3rd grade and will be in the 4th at the start of next year. I am trying to find a home schooling option that would be perfect for us. We will be traveling a lot in the next year between South Carolina and Texas. My husband has been working in Texas for over a year and I do not want to be away from him any longer. My son needs his father. I want to find a home schooling option that will work for us. My son is currently in an IEP ( Individualized Education Program ) with his current school. He needs to be able to work at his own pace. Will your program be able to help him with this and do you meet all home schooling requirements for Texas law or even South Carolina law? I do not know if we will be moving back home after a year or not and I would like to know if I can continue using this program in more than one state. Thank you I really need help.

capitalkid is offline Junior Member

Default OPtions

Quote Originally Posted by April Hare Sweat View Post
    We currently live in South Carolina but are moving to Texas in June. I want to home school my son and all the online schooling (K-12.com) is requiring that my son be enrolled for at least a year at public school in Texas. If not then we have to go with a private online school and they want $5000 a year. I do not want to do this. My son is currently in the 3rd grade and will be in the 4th at the start of next year. I am trying to find a home schooling option that would be perfect for us. We will be traveling a lot in the next year between South Carolina and Texas. My husband has been working in Texas for over a year and I do not want to be away from him any longer. My son needs his father. I want to find a home schooling option that will work for us. My son is currently in an IEP ( Individualized Education Program ) with his current school. He needs to be able to work at his own pace. Will your program be able to help him with this and do you meet all home schooling requirements for Texas law or even South Carolina law? I do not know if we will be moving back home after a year or not and I would like to know if I can continue using this program in more than one state. Thank you I really need help.
    I think alot of people think Homeschooling is done through the school district. It is not. That is called "Public School Option"

Time4Learning is a curriculum, and parents get to choose if it will fit the bill. You can use the program whenever wherever.

HSLDA
    Texas Homeschool Law does not require you contact them at all for homeschooling
    Compulsory Attendance: 6-18
    Testing:None
    Teacher cert:Non
    Req days Of instruction:None
    Req Subjects:Good Citizenship, Math,Reading,Spelling,Grammer
    " Homeschools must be conducted in a bona fide manner, using a written curriculum consisting of reading, spelling, grammar, math and a course in good citizenship; no other requirements apply; "

South Carolina Law
    Compulsary Attendance:5-17
    Testing:Under Option II and III no Testing Req
    Teacher cert:HS Diploma
    Req Days of Instruction: 180
    Req Subjects: Reading, writing, math, science, and social studies; composition and literature in grades 7-12.

IMHO Option 3 is the best Choice
    "Option III. Parents may teach their children at home by becoming members of an association for home schools which has at least fifty members under S.C. Code § 59-65-47 (effective June 20, 1996). “In lieu of the requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45, parents or guardians may teach their children at home if the instruction is conducted under the auspices of an association for home schools which has no fewer than fifty members and meets the requirements of this section. Bona fide membership and continuing compliance with the academic standards of the associations exempts the home school from the further requirements of Section 59-65-40 or Section 59-65-45.” Under this option
    Parents or guardians must meet the following requirements:
    1. Hold at least a high school diploma or GED;
    2. An instructional year of at least 180 days;
    3. The curriculum includes the required subjects listed above; and
    4. Educational records maintained by the parent include:
    a. A plan book or other record of subjects taught and activities;
    b. A portfolio of the child’s work; and
    c. A semiannual progress report.
    "

IMHO , Essentially this says that you can enroll your child in any umbrella school that has 50 or more students. If your umbrella only wants 1 report a year, then just do one mid term and just keep it in his student file.

Look up West River Academy. Enrollment is 325$ a year. We have been with them 5 years now. Support is very good, you send in a Year End Report officially at the end of the year and your child will get a HS Diploma. Its a very good umbrella school.

She has kids enrolled from all 50 states and abroad. Ask for Peggy.

This seems like a good fit given the situation. However I believe if you were to be physically located in Texas more than 30 days you would fall under Texas law for schooling. So then no need for anything but finding a good curriculum. Time 4 Learning would fit, your childs whole history is saved in their profile and can always be pulled up also there is a way to print out an enrollment certificate showing his enrollment days and hours worked and how much he has done. Its great really.

So Good Luck in your quest, should you have legal questions you should call HSLDA, alot of folks who HS are members for the same reasons that you have questions for.
    And Q on WRA look it up online and get the number, I think she recently added a forum on there as well so other parents might be on there chatting too.

ok Have a good one

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty sure homeschooling in Texas is super easy! There are very minimal requirements. You might visit the Texas forum and talk to the folks over there. T4L should work great to meet TX requirements as well as transfer to other states. Just remember that T4L is a curriculum not a school. Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, April Hare Sweat.

If you want to homeschool your son, you do not need to go through K-12 or any particular umbrella school. Those are options, but not mandatory. There are many different curricula which you, as the teacher of record, can freely choose from.

When we pulled our daughter out of school many years ago, we also had an IEP. She has special needs. We homeschool our three children. We tried several different curricula which we'd used successfully with our other kids, but did not help our daughter with special needs. We've been sooo happy to have found Time4Learning. The benefits of time4learning for our daughter are that she can work at her own pace, she can work at different grade levels for each subject (math is a challenge for her, so she's at a slightly lower level), and she can repeat lessons as often as necessary. For me, it's so helpful that the program tracks and scores her work. So it makes record-keeping so much easier for me since I can simply print her progress report, which shows her scores and how often she did her lessons.

Time4Learning is very affordable at only 19.95 a month. Membership is month to month, so you can cancel at any time. I would suggest you give it a try over the summer and see what you think, if your son likes it and he makes progress with it. That's the greatest benefit we've found. My daughter absolutely loves T4L. She truly enjoys learning now. She gets up in the mornings and signs on to her lessons on her own. I'm looking over her shoulder and listening as she's doing the lessons. If she needs any help, I'm close by. She's learning to work independently, which is good now that she's a little older, and showing lots of progress. We've been with T4l 5 years and will stay with them as long as they're in business. We were so happy to hear the news that they added high school to T4L this year!!

As a new homeschooler, you may find this homeschooling guide helpful: Welcome to Homeschooling

One of the first and best things I did as a new homeschool mom years ago was find a local homeschool support group. I met veteran homeschool moms who guided me in our new adventure. Over the years our kids have gone to many field trips and participated in the yearbook club, art classes, music classes, PE, drama club and so much more. My oldest is graduating this year with friends she's grown up with and are also homeschooled. This site has a list of homeschool support groups in Texas.

I also suggest you visit the Homeschool Legal Defense Association site, where you can find helpful information on homeschooling in Texas. They also have a link at their site for local homeschool support groups as well as the state laws and requirements. It is not mandatory that you join HSLDA, but I would recommend it. They are very helpful, and if you ever need legal counsel, they're the best! Oh, and if you have questions about homeschooling a child with special needs, they have help for that too.

I hope that's helpful. Feel free to visit the other Time4Learning Forums. This is the Texas Time4Learning Forum.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 05-08-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

April Hare Sweat is offline Junior Member Newbie

After doing a lot more research we have decided to go with t4l. I think this program will be our best option. I am looking forward to joining the home schooling community. We will be living in Texas most of the time and just visiting South Carolina. Thanks for everything.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear you will be joining the T4L family. Welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!