Need A Bit Of Advice
    CountryMama is offline Junior Member

Default Need A Bit Of Advice

Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get your advice on a couple of things. I pulled my 3rd and 4th grade sons out of public school at the beginning of January. We are going to begin using t4l on Monday. As I went through some of the lesson plans I realized that my 4th grader when is public school was learning what the third grade program teaches on t4l. I am wondering if I should just start both of my boys in the 3rd grade program. I just don't want to feel like he is behind a grade but like I stated before his 4th grade work in PS is what the 3rd grade work is here on t4L.

Also, since there are only 4 months before summer vacation should we just finish out the third grade year and start them both in the 4th grade in the fall or finish up the third grade in the fall and then go into the 4th grade level. I do plan to continue the math through the summer to try to get them caught up to the 4th grade level for the fall.

Thank you for any advice. Beth

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Beth!

One of the great things about homeschooling is the ability to customize your children's education. One of the great things about Time4Learning is that it is SO easy to customize!

I usually suggest that brand new homeschoolers start with something that leans toward being "too easy" rather than "too hard", because there are so many other things to get used to at first. The next few months will probably be spent in trial and error, which is perfectly normal for homeschoolers just leaving public school.

I've never mentioned to my kids that "level" corresponds to "grade". That way, they never feel "behind". They know that I just start them where I feel they need to begin and they proceed from there.

You don't have to be overly concerned with completing a level during the school year. It's fine to just continue where you left off next year. If you try to speed through to "catch up", you risk the children "learning" something just long enough to "pass" the test. I'd rather take a little longer and have them commit what they're learning to long-term memory.

Everyone does things differently. Trust your instincts on this one.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

CountryMama is offline Junior Member

Thank you, I went ahead and just started them both in the third grade level and I have never mentioned to them what "level" of work they are doing. It seems like the third grade level is fitting them both well and I think I will continue the third grade math through the summer and pick up whatever third grade s.s., science, and LA in the fall that we didn't get done then move on to 4th. Thank you!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add that it is not necessary to stop during the summer and resume in the fall. We homeschool all year, taking breaks when and where we think they should fall instead of where the public school system thinks they should fall. That doesn't mean we don't do fun things during the summer, we do, but we just do school also...summer is like school-lite. I don't know about where you live, but summers are brutally hot here, and we like to spend time inside when it is 100 degrees/100% humidity Also, we found that taking the full summer off meant that it took too long to get back in the swing of things when school started in the fall. And we take off the month of December. Christmas holidays are a hectic time, and we need less school and more time to do fun things then. All of that to say this, homeschooling is pretty flexible and it may take time for you and your kids to learn to...flex!
    Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!