Need easier year for MOM
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Need easier year for MOM

SEAsiamom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need easier year for MOM

Hi, I am new here; I have 4 kids ages 15, 13, 11, and 9, who have been homeschooled their whole lives.

We moved to SE Asia in February and we are all learning language and adjusting to culture in preparation for work in the capital next year. I have spent the past 10 years being quite hands-on in the kids' schoolwork, but I need next year to be much less so because of all the time and energy it is taking for me to adjust myself and our family to our new country.

I am looking for a way for them to still receive an excellent education but much more independently. T4L sounds like a good option, but I am concerned about the lack of any sort of "real live teacher" connection. Obviously I can help my younger ones if they get stuck, but if my son gets bogged down in Algebra II or Biology, how does he get help? Would appreciate any experience or advice on this.

Also, is the program pretty easy to use? We are not a very technologically-savvy family and I will be shooting us in the foot if I'm having to teach everyone computer literacy just to do their core subjects.

Thanks for any help or advice - related to my questions or my general situation!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. It's a good idea to have basic computer skills to use a computer-based program. It doesn't require more than "basic" skills, though.

Since Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, and not a school, the parent is the teacher of record. The program is intended to be worked independently, but you will need to help your student if he or she needs clarification. The older the student, the more independent they usually are.

High school students do have access to a community called Time4Friends, where they can get help from other students. Parents who are helping their children often post in this forum that you are reading now if they are unsure about a concept they are teaching.

I started using Time4Learning with my kids, back in 2006, after being very hands-on in my homeschooling approach and needing to concentrate on something else for awhile. It pretty much "saved my life".
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, SEAsiamom.

What a cool experience for your family! And learning a new language together. That alone is a task in itself. I can understand why you would want to have some of your kids (older ones especially) work more independently.

The Time4Learning curriculum is very easy to navigate!
    Students begin by logging in where they see the entry to theirdifferent subjects. When they select a subject, they see a collection of units tostudy in a prearranged sequence. The curriculum prompts your child tomove from lesson to lesson marking them off as they are completed. Each unitcontains multimedia lessons, interactive exercises, printable worksheets, andassessments. Most students follow the suggested sequence; however, thereare no restrictions, giving us parents and our kids the choice to jump around, skip, or review as necessary. Since the curriculum is self-paced, you can decide how many lessons your child completes each day.

Teaching guides are provided for parents who want to provide deeper enrichment and are available in the parents section. Printable worksheets are also accessible in the Lesson Plans through the Parent Administration page. The Lesson Plans can also be used to determine if there are any lessons you want your child to skip (if they've done them before, for example). There you can also access the printable Progress Reports, which help you keep track of how much work is being completed by your children each day and what their scores are. This helps you in knowing if there is a lesson, quiz or test that they need to repeat or that they would need to get more help from mom/dad or a tutor.

I started using Time4Learning when I found myself having to go back to work part-time, but we still wanted to continue homeschooling our children. The progress reports where a huge help in making sure my kids had completed the work assigned and also help me keep a record of their scores. While I still did other things with them on my time off, the main subjects and a lot of the administrative work was taken care of.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 06-02-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass