Need Help/Advice Choosing the Right Level
    RushTX is offline Junior Member

Smile Need Help/Advice Choosing the Right Level

I know there are tons of questions like this, and usually the response is mentioning the questionnaire or something like that during registration. Which is great.

But I'm just wanting some opinions.

I'm planning to register my 7-year-old daughter and get started in Time4Learning in a couple of weeks.
    She's slightly delayed in speech and communication, and she's about halfway through mastering first grade concepts. She was in the special needs public school program from age 3-6. We just pulled her out this past year to homeschool. She struggles with listening and understanding sometimes, and with auditory processing. So listening activities and anything to do with auditory can be a struggle.

She can read fairly well. She reads all the short 3-letter words perfectly, knows several sight words, and a lot of the (what do you call them, phonics blends?). But we haven't gone over any of the vowel blends (like ea, oa, etc.). When learning new sounds, I've usually just told her that this (letter or combination of letters) says this. And she's pretty quick to pick it up I think.
    She tries to write (she really enjoys it), but often it doesn't make much sense. I mean, she writes letters and words (often misspelled, but I can tell what word she is trying to write), but not always complete sentences.
    We're working on adding and subtracting, up to 10. She's doing pretty well with that. We also started on coin values and counting, but she only recalls the penny and nickel. We introduced the dime, but she didn't remember when we did that sample lesson. And she knows nothing about the quarter yet. I've struggled trying to teach her skip counting and bigger/smaller, greater than/less than.
    (Thus I am here considering Time4Learning, because I need the help; I'm no good at the teaching part ) This past year has been very sporadic and frustrating at times when she doesn't understand and I don't know how to explain something.

Anyway, that's a rough estimate of her current skills. So I'd definitely choose 1st grade math for her even if some of it is a review. That's not a bad idea when it comes to math.

I'm stuck on the language arts level. I looked at the scope and sequence, and I know that over halfway through it, she already knows. Possibly even further than that. I really think I'd like to start her at 2nd grade, again based simply on the scope and sequence, and the different lessons I read elsewhere on the T4L website here.

What do you all think, I mean, based on what I've mentioned about what she's able to do now? If you suggest (as I've heard this mentioned before) that I should start a level before where I think she might be - which would be 1st grade language arts, my next question would be, is there any way to skip lessons that I know she doesn't need? Like, we don't need to go over short vowels or consonants. Or would we just have her take the chapter tests for those - and again skip the lessons? Just curious how that would work.

And finally - if we do the latter, start in first grade LA, and move very quickly through things she doesn't need to relearn, would we be able to move on to second as soon as she finishes first and is ready to move on?

Thanks so much!!

Rushell

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi, Rushell - I usually suggest parents take a look at the scope and sequence to try to skip anything they think their student knows. Sounds like you've done that! You could also have your daughter take a couple tests in the first-grade level. If she knows the material and passes the quizzes, you can skip the lessons. When she starts missing the questions on the quizzes or struggling with it, you could start with those lessons. And yes, you can skip any lesson you'd like. You can move around as you'd like. You will even get access to the 2nd grade if you sign up for the 1st grade, so if you feel you want to jump back and forth between the two, you can do that!

RushTX is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Oh that sounds super!

I've actually been looking at Time4Learning for a long time. It's been around a while, I know. I remember looking at it when my son was little too. He currently (at 13) says it's too babyish, so we're going with another program for him.

But yeah, I think my daughter will really like it. So I'm excited to get started with her!

I'll do as you suggested, starting with 1st grade, and good to know we can jump ahead, or do the tests until she struggles with some of the things, etc.

Thanks so much, Robin!

Rushell

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Rushell, you don't need to set up an activity plan if you intend to pick and choose lessons. Just refer to the lesson plans/ scope and sequence, find a lesson you want her to do, and notice the lesson activity number (LA#). Have your student log in to her account and type that activity number into the Activity Finder; then press Enter. The Actiity Finder is the little magnifying glass icon at the lower right when your student is logged in.

In the past, I have printed the lesson plans/scope and sequence and circled the lessons I want my kids to do. After they do each one, I cross it off. The Activity Planner is great when you're using lessons in sequence, but I prefer "my way" when I'm picking and choosing.

Hope this helps!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!