New 7th Grade Alabama

Default New 7th Grade Alabama

Hi. I am new to this and quite honestly scared to death. We are in Montgomery, Alabama and doing 7th grade with my son. Does anyone have suggestions or knowledge they could pass along to me? Please help. Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Here are a few things I usually share with new homeschoolers.

Be sure you know your state's homeschool laws, and that you understand the difference between homeschooling and enrollment in an online school.

Understand that homeschooling does not usually take as long as traditional school, and don't expect your child to be sitting in front of a book or a computer lesson for six hours a day. This is because your child can go right on to the next subject when he finishes one subject. He doesn't have to wait for the end of a designated class period. There is also no time taken on roll call, assemblies, and other "crowd management" activities.

If your state requires a certain number of hours, you can legitimately count things like Scouts, 4H, music lessons, volunteer work, arts and crafts, organized sports, part time job, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking, woodworking and auto mechanics as school time.

Homeschool doesn't have to look like public school. You can set a schedule that works for your own student. Maybe they need more sleep, so they don't start school until 10 am or they do school in the afternoon. Maybe they have a job on Fridays, so they only do school Monday through Thursday. Some families take the entire month of December off to concentrate on winter holidays. Others school throughout the summer.

Monitor your child. With a curriculum like Time4Learning, it's easy to expect the curriculum to do all the teaching. I like the dishwasher analogy someone came up with. A dishwasher will wash your dishes for you . . . but someone has to load it, decide if a few things should be rinsed first, add detergent, start it running, and put the dishes away later. In the same way, although T4L is designed to be done independently, the parent needs to set up a schedule or decide not to use one, remind their student to do their work, be available in case there are any questions, grade worksheets and writing assignments, and view a report of ant work the program grades regularly. (The program grades most of the work.) In homeschooling, the parent is the teacher of record.

Focus on the important things. For example, I think it's a waste of time for my kids to "memorize" dates and other trivia just long enough to "pass" a test. I'd rather they spend that time understanding important math concepts, or improving reading skills.

You might also be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Have fun with this!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!