New

Thread: New

jgal30 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New

My daughter does not have any learning disabilities that I'm aware of. She is;however, having trouble reading. I've been looking for websites or tools to help her develop the reading skills she needs. She is not homeschooled. I would use this site for afters chool and summer school enrichment. Does anyone have a first grader who had trouble with reading and has seen improvement by using this site?

Thanks

karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Jgal30,

Hi, I wanted to reply to your post although we are relatively new to T4L and have never used it to teach reading. (our youngest is 7 and in 2nd grade). However, 3 out of our 4 boys had difficulties learning to read. For a while, we thought our middle boys had learning disabilities, but as it turned out, they were just slow bloomers

All children have their own timelines as to when they are ready to undertake and learn new concepts. Our older two mastered reading toward the end of 1st grade. Our youngest still struggles in 2nd grade, but is improving by the day! He is very young minded and immature, so he is taking a while to understand the concept. I have enrolled him in t4l and he absolutely loves it! He is doing wonderfully. He actually asks to "do school". I am planning on hs'ing all 4 of the boys next year (oldest dd- 12 is currently hs'd) and he will be on T4L full time (supplemented with workbooks and plenty of reading books that we found on rainbowresource.com).

I guess my point is not to worry too much about it. The last thing you want to do is pressure her and make her feel like there is something wrong. Be patient. She will have an "ah ha" moment too. We didn't think it was possible, but going through this for the 3rd time in almost as many years, we've come to realize that children are not robots and they don't all "program" at the same speed.

I know for my youngest though, that he has already learned a lot from this program.

Michelle

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Click here for some information on using Time4Learning for reading.

Here is a little more.

Do present reading as a fun activity. You don't want your daughter to think of it as a chore. Time4Learning includes books that can be read online.

When my children first started reading, they enjoyed it when we read a book together. At first, I would read the book aloud, stopping to let them read an occasional word that I knew they would be able to sound out. As their reading improved, they would read the first sentence on each page, and I'd read the remainder. When they were reading fairly independently, I would read the pages on "my" side and they would read the pages on "their" side.

Learning to read takes lots of practice. Ten minutes every single day is usually more effective than a long session twice a week.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MsHolmes is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I also have a daughter in 1st grade attending a public school. In the beginning of the school year she was tested(Virginia Pals) and scored below grade level for both reading fluency and comprehension. She's been using T4L since December and although she has not been formally retested; everyone(me,teachers,family,friends) can clearly see the drastic improvement from her using T4L. I see improvements whenever I check her backpack/portfolio..her fluency words/minute score went from 40something to over 90 and her comprehension is almost always 100%.

And for T4L Math....As far as she's concerned, her school(Math) work is like doing "baby problems".