New here & introduction
    CountryMom3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here & introduction

Hi! Please bear with me, this is going to be a very long post. My name is Laura, and I am a mom of 3 children. My husband and I are Deaf - both of us were born deaf since birth, and we use sign language to communicate with each other. All of my children are hearing. My oldest will be 8 years old on Saturday, Nov. 1st. I have two daughters, 5 and 2 years old. The one I am referring to with questions concerns my son. He has auditory processing disorder. I think he has a very mild case of apd, and he has been tested for ADD/ADHD - although the psychologist said she believes may have it, but some of the questions that I had to answer had to be answered with a yes or no that I felt that did not really apply to my son (there was no "n/a" option). So I think the test was not a true analysis after all. The psychologist did not want to label him as having ADD/ADHD so therefore asked to have two additional tests done through the public school which was done last fall before ruling it out. The school tested my son for processing issues, and it seems that they did not find processing issues, but he has a lot of symptoms of apd more than ADD/ADHD.

I had the first parent-teacher's conference two weeks ago, and although my son was doing okay with reading, but he was having a hard time with math. Then the teacher brought up his behavior issues not that he was in trouble, but the teacher emphasized so much that he was constantly touching something. At first I thought I couldn't understand her point and wondered why she was making a big deal about it, and then suddenly realized that because my husband and I are Deaf, he has to touch me or my husband to get our attention. There was a special ed teacher's assistant who comes in the room to help with anyone with special needs to work on one to one basis. She sat next to me, and I had a sign language interpreter in the meeting as well. When I explained all this, the special ed teacher assistant quickly replied "Ohhh, that makes sense! I saw this on t.v. (probably saw this on Super Nanny), and it is usually the way to get someone's attention when getting an attention from a Deaf person". She was obviously very understanding, but my son's teacher made no comment or acknowledge it so in a way it kinda of made me feel like she was looking at this as a behavior problem. When I left the meeting, the sign language interpreter made a wonderful suggestion that we think about getting my son transferred to another school where there is a Deaf Education program for many reasons. There would be other deaf and hearing kids who signs, there would be kids who have Deaf parents just like us, and he would feel the bond there. My mom is very worried about him as she thinks he has very low self esteem, doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence, and my son does sometimes complains that he does not have many friends. He seems to be more self conscious. I contacted the Student Services at our school district, and found out that I can apply for it on the first week of December. However, they have to approve it. I also emailed to the principal of the other school with the Deaf Education program about it, and she said that they had just added two new 2nd graders last week, and had reached its enrollment but still suggested that I contact Student Services again in December anyway to see if the nubmer changes. I emailed the principal again to ask if for by any chance it's not possible to transfer in January after Christmas break, would it become automatic in August when school starts next fall. She said that no it all depended on the number of enrollment and space available. I believe that the school with the Deaf Education program is very well recognized, recognized as exemplary school. In the meantime, all I can do is hope and pray that my son can be transferred to the other school, but if for whatever reason is not able to be trasnferred, I need to find other ways to see what I can do to help him. I had even thought about home schooling him, but I didn't know if that would be a good option. I had been searching on the internet to find out more about apd, and I came across to THIS site somehow, and found some helpful information. So to summarize it all up, is it possible to homeschool my son with his issues? how do you schedule the day? How long do you homeschool? Thank you for reading my post, and I look forward to hearing some ideas or suggestions.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Laura. Welcome to the forum.

You ask if it's possible to homeschool your son with his issues. Many parents choose homeschooling specifically because their child has "issues" they feel can be dealt with better by the one-on-one tutoring that homeschooling provides. I am not familiar with the special challenges you might face being deaf and teaching a son who can hear, so I can't comment on that.

There are many, many ways to schedule a homeschooling day. Until others come along to share with you, you might want to click the "Search" link at the top of this page and type in "schedule". You'll find a lot of threads relating to scheduling.

Homeschooling takes far less time than a traditional school situation. You might be interested in this thread about time spent homeschooling, as well as the article Should I Homeschool All Day? that one of the posts refers to.

Good luck to you as you search out the best options for your son!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

CountryMom3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you Kelly. To give you a little more of my background, I can speak fairly well, and those who know me without knowing sign language can understand me fairly well. I also can lipread fairly well but it can be tiring having to concentrate all the time. Every individual is different.

My mom used to work as an early childhood teacher's aide so she knows a lot about various handicaps. I'm just not sure what she thinks of homeschooling since she used to work in the school system for a long time. Yesterday, I talked to my son how he would feel if he was transferred to another school, and he said he thought it would be okay. Then I asked him what he thought if he was homeschooled, and he said he would like that which surprised me. After reading so much information on the internet about his learning disability - apd - I am starting to think he mgiht be feeling a bit under pressure trying to keep up with everyone. With homeschool, he would not be in that situation. Right now he is getting a lot of one-on-one with independent work. He told me last night that he didn't understand why no one really likes him at school, and he is trying so hard to fit in. When I asked him about transferring to the other school or be homeschooled, he said that everyone would be glad to see him go. It just broke my heart. I just feel so helpless, and I wish I knew what more I can do to help him. When my husband came home from work last night, I told him what our son said. He was so shocked to hear it that he had a tear in his eye. Without my knowledge, he went to my son's room, to kneel down and pray. He came back and asked me if I knew what he just did. I said no, and he told me what he had just done. Wow, I had no idea that this would be so hard on my husband too. Sometimes I find it hard trying to communicate with the teacher because she doesn't seem to be very encouraging. The special ed teacher's aide seems to be interested enough in my son. I have a Deaf friend that homeschools her two hearing children since they started school, never been in a public school before, and they like it. Anyway, I will keep reading through the threads here on this website to get some information and for support as well.

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum. Don't be nervous about homeschooling. Its really a great experience. I'm new to it, but I love it. Reading what your son said is heartbreaking. I would home school him......bond, build his confidence.....
    T4L makes getting started so easy. I am so pleased, and there is great support here as well.

Take care,
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

jvigrl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi
    My son also has ADHD and APD. It has been a huge struggle for him in public school, that is why I decided to take him out and homeschool. What ever your decision, I'm sure it will be the right one. Just know you are not alone!!