New to home schooling - help!

Default New to home schooling - help!

I just signed up for T4L for my 10 year old son. He has severe congenital heart defects, asthma, ADD, and frequent migraines. We decided that we need to do home schooling because ever since his last heart surgery in July 2011 he has had migraines 1-3 times a week. This has caused him to miss a lot of school. He loves school and has been getting very upset and stressed out about missing so much and getting behind. This school year we have been having a lot of trouble with the school being unsupportive and not following his IEP. We have actually been talking with PACERand are considering filing a complaint with the Department of Education.

We are totally new to home schooling. We are in Minnesota. How do we let the school/district/state know that we are switching? How do they make sure we are meeting the requirments? If we eventually decide to go back to public school would we have to start his IEP all over or reinstate the old one? What are some ideas for social activities for home schoolers? We have a YMCA membership so we are planning to utilize that for Phy Ed.

Thanks!

Robin is offline Senior Member

corine35 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Robin, I pulled my son out of school just recently due to a very unprofessional environment. I am new to homeschooling and would like to be on the safe side with my state's laws in homeschooling. Can you please provide me with information as well when it comes to the state of New York. Thank you so Kindly

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Have you checked with the New York State Forum?? Kathy monitors that forum and she is a great help. You can also find info at HSLDA (HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983).
    Joyfully,
    Jackie