New to homeschool
    Cbaez is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschool

Hello there my name is Carolyn and we live in The Bronx. My daughter is 5 years old and I am interested in homeschool for her. Where do I register her for homeschool how do I go about lettibg the school she is in now that I will be homeschooling and pretty much just how do I start the process?? Is there a number I call or a website where I register? Please any info will help! Thank you all!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I am in TN, so what I need to do will not apply to NY. You may want to ask for this info on the NY forum.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Carolyn,

I am going to ask someone who knows about homeschooling in New York post some info for you. Her name is Kathi.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Carolyn, I'm Kathi, the moderator of the New York Parent Forum. Your case is a bit tricky since your daughter is not yet at the compulsory age for school attendance. I believe you just have to write a letter to the school notifying them that she will not be returning. I can't find anything in the law that relates to pulling a child out of school who is under the age of compulsory attendance. In July you would file a letter of intent with the Superintendent of Schools for the school district that you live in. The school your daughter is currently attending should be able to give you that information. You don't have to tell them why. Just call the secretary and ask for the name and address of the Superintendent for that school district. Within 10 days of receiving your letter of intent, the school district should send you a copy of the law and the paperwork necessary to file an IHIP. If they don't send it, go ahead and write up a letter which includes:
    Each child's IHIP shall contain:
    (1) the child's name, age and grade level;

(2)
    a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks or plan of instruction to be used in each of the required subjects listed in subdivision (e) of this section;
    (3) the dates for submission to the school district of the parents' quarterly reports as required in subdivision (g) of this section. These reports shall be spaced in even and logical periods;
    (4) the names of the individuals providing instruction; and
    (5) a statement that the child will be meeting the compulsory educational requirements of Education Law, section 3205 through full-time study at a degree-granting institution, meaning enrollment for at least 12 semester hours in a semester or its equivalent, if that is the case. In this situation, the IHIP shall identify the degree-granting institution and the subjects to be covered by that study.

The school district has 10 days to notify you if the form is complete. Frequently they don't even bother. So don't be surprised if you don't hear back from them. Just make sure you send everything registered mail with a return receipt. And keep copies for yourself. Some people even go so far as to take the paperwork in to the superintendent's office and have the secretary date stamp it as received. This is important because it is your proof that you are in compliance with the law.

Please stop over and visit the New York forums. You will find many others in your situation there. You can ask questions about the paperwork and share what you learn along the way. I would also recommend checking out some of the homeschooling groups in your area. I've heard lots of good things about the NYPHEN group and I would highly recommend the TCH group. You do have to pay for membership with them but it's not very much and does include a great monthly newsletter. Go and Learn is a great group but not as active any more. Michelle has a new group called Kids Play Well. It's a yahoo group if you want to look it up.

Best wishes on the wonderful adventure. My son has never attended school. We have used time4learning since the beginning and love it. I look forward to seeing you around.

Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota