New to Homeschool with an Autistic child
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dearheart

Thread: New to Homeschool with an Autistic child

Justus8 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschool with an Autistic child

My son is 7. He is currently in 1st grade at a local public elementary but due to issues with learning, I would like to start home schooling him this summer. Autism is a complex issue and he responds very well to the computer... He thrives and actually learns well. Are there any suggested programs that use computer based learning?

MommaPrestriedge is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am also considering the home school route for my 9yo autistic son. He will be going into 4th grade, but thinking I'm going to start him out at 3rd grade level so that we can gain access to 2nd and 4th grade as well. Really hoping that with that flexibility I will be able to find the perfect fit for his grade levels in each subject.

Christy Burns is offline Junior Member Newbie

I can tell both you ladies as a mother of a child with both Autism,ODD,as well as Cerebral Palsy Time4 learning is and was the best decision I have ever made for my child.I also have an incoming kindergardener that I will also be doing t4l with also.

katherinejones24 is offline Junior Member Newbie

There are a lot of training programs you can look at and see if they fit the needs of your son. We've got to understand that different children require different approaches. You can tell for sure if home schooling is best for your son. Good luck with your search. He is really lucky to have a mom like you who'd be willing to take an extra mile.

Dearheart is offline Junior Member

My son is 12 years old, in the 5th grade, and this will be our second year of homeschooling. He has a form of autism called Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. We had been wanting to homeschool him (and his younger sister) even before they started school, but we did not know how to do it and where to begin.

One day, at school, an accident happened and the school treated my son very poorly with it, to the point that we would not risk the same thing happening again and rushed into finding out how to homeschool him. My husband tried Time 4 Learning, and the day after the said incident happened, we had both him and his sister (she then a 3rd grader, he then a 4th grader) try out the program. My daughter told me that they use T4L (for them it was called Odyssey, but virtually the same thing) EVERY day for an hour at school. I then noticed that their spelling words, and their books they were reading as a group, etc all came from T4L. That further instilled us to use this, because they were already doing virtually the same thing at school, why not at home?

For the latter half of last year my kids were homeschooled and have been using T4L, as well as other outside supplemental things. Needless to say, my sons stress has gone down severely. That, and I am more so able to see exactly what my son does, and does not know. I had quickly found out that, though I thought he was doing fine academically at school, he actually really struggled with math and his special ed teacher (when she visited him in the classroom, he was in a normal classroom 90% of the time) she "helped" him. In reality, he was behind.

This is the first school year where my kids have been schooled at home from the first day of school, and I have changed up how some of their things are being done, but I really do love the Time 4 Learning program. He does it so well, it is mostly interactive and keeps his attention pretty well. This year I have my son set as 3rd grade for math, and 5th grade (like he should be) for everything else. Outside of T4L, this year I will have my son work on multiplication (started slowly last year, will finish and polish this year). Also, we will do some math worksheets (did one this morning in fact) that I made from worksheetworks.com. We have a weekly journal writing exercise, spelling, science/history and art. We are also going to work on cursive handwriting this year (not sure how well my son will do, but I am only going to do lower case only with him this year).

I would highly recommend Time 4 Learning to use. My son does so well with it, as does my daughter. If you would also like, though this is more of a computer game than an online resource, look into the Jumpstart games.
    jpenn likes this.

katherinejones24 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree with Dearheart. My sister has nothing but good words about the Jumpstart games. The kids are having fun learning. That is all that matters after all. I love it when my kids play Jumpstart games and still talk about it in the dinner table. I hope this will help your son.