NEW to homeschooling
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mch023
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: NEW to homeschooling

desnew2hs is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default NEW to homeschooling

Hi,
    I just mailed our letter of intent and joined T4learning last night.
    I have never done this before so I'm super nervous. I live in the state of NJ. I'm so use to having workbooks, text books so doing everything on the computer is a little out of the norm for us. I know i can print some worksheets but there aren't worksheets for every lesson.
    Are there any tips on staying organized and how long should we be on. I also have no idea if the state will come in and check what we currently have been doing. My son is in the 5th grade and was not really to happy with doing everything on the computer I'm wondering if i made the right choice. I guess we are both a little nervous. I don't want him to miss out on learning anything. I do work nights typically from 2pm-10pm. So our school work has to be done between 8am-1pm . I have so many questions so any incite would be really appreciated.
    Thank you

MMRanch is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I am not a T4L member yet, however, I do plan to start my children in July if not sooner. I have been homeschooling from the beginning and I have a 4th grader and Kindergartener. My plan is to incorporate some workbooks along with the T4L curriculum. And from what I can tell my Kindergartener is already ahead of their 1st grade curriculum in some areas, however, I do not feel like this is going to be a problem, because you can work in a grade ahead. There are many workbooks out there and I have also used IXL and KhanAcademy as a supplement in learning. IXL is free to a point, but I go ahead and pay for it, because it gives the kids some more incentive. KhanAcademy on the other hand is totally free. Both of these programs are to help with Math concepts, although IXL has just started incorporating L/A. A workbook I just ordered is called My Fifth Grade Super Yearbook. It is kind of costly, but I did find a site where you can purchase it for a fraction of the cost. I plan to use this in conjuction with T4L. I will warn it is the size of phone book, but it has a full curriculum in it and covers many subjects. So, I figure between the things that I am supplementing he should get a pretty good education. Also, you do need to check into state laws as they vary from state to state. For example, in Colorado we have 3 options as a homeschooler. I am planning on going through an Umbrella school, which basically means I will pay them an annual fee and then I turn in my record keeping and curriculum summary to them and they take care of it for me. That way if I plan to put him in another school they will send the appropriate paperwork to that school, so that the transfer process will go through easily. Also, from what I can tell your schedule of 8-1 should work fine. I am planning on an 8-10 schedule until September and then 4 hours a day until summer. However, we have always included some weekend work. Both of my kids have worked on the demos and they are very excited about starting the program, to the point that my youngest wants me to pay for it now. So, take a deep breath and from what I can tell the forum's seem to answer a lot of questions.

Hi! I just started the program with my twins, both 5th graders. They were both excited about starting the program and working at their own pace and at their own times. They spend up to 3 hours a day doing work. I have them keeping a binder with their subjects organized accordingly. They jot down minimal info and highlight info from each lesson just so they can review. This is my first time homeschooling my four children. I was very nervous to lose the structure that going to school brings, but my kids seem to enjoy it and I noticed they are actually learning more. Good luck!
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi,
    I remember when I first started homeschooling many years ago I was very nervous, too. And it was a very long time before I stopped wondering if I was doing enough, if the kids were learning enough. I realized I will never be able to teach them enough. It's impossible. But they're learning more than they would be in a brick and mortar school. We're also closer as a family because there's more time and freedom to do things together. They get to explore their own interests and have time for extracurricular activities. My youngest daughter gets her work done in about 3 hours. My kids in high school level do their work in about 4 to 5 hours, some days less.

Have you looked into a local homeschool support group? Some kids don't really enjoy doing ALL their subjects online. Some support groups offer co-op classes such as art or music. In our city we meet once a week at a park with other homeschoolers for P.E. Check out the Time4Learning forum for your state. Maybe you can find some local activities or another homeschool family near you.

As for the state coming in to check on you, I doubt that would happen. In the 13 years we've been homeschooling, I've never known that to have happened to anyone we know. If your son is doing his work and his end-of-the-year evaluation or test indicates he's progressing (that's the law requirement in my state), then you have nothing to worry about.

It will take some time but you'll find your own groove in homeschooling. Everyone's homeschool phylosophy and schedules are different. You'll be fine. Take some time to do fun things together. Find fun science experiments to do or look into lapbooking some of the lessons he's covering in Time4Learning. Pinterest has some neat ideas.

Enjoy your homeschooling journey!!
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

janetmar3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi I just wanted to know which web site were you able to purchase the My fifth grade super Yearbook at. They are all so expensive.