New to Homeschooling
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hackney3
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: New to Homeschooling

Hackney3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

Hey y'all! I'm a youngish mom of three, who currently lives in the same town with school district I grew up in. We are excited to announce we will soon be buying a house on the lake! Unfortunately that means we will be in a district with a D- rating!!! Guess I'm Homeschooling. I'm so nervous as I will have a Preschooler (3), Kindergartener (5) and 4th grader (9). Has anyone used Time4Learning as their curriculum? Any tips are greatly​ appreciated. Thankfully I'm a stay at home mom so I can completely focus on their learning. Hubby is dreading having to buy 3 more computers. LOL thanks in advance.
    Maryjones.tutor likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Homeschooling

Hi, and welcome! You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Time4Learning has been our core curriculum since 2006. Since four have now graduated and gone on to college, I can report that they have been very well prepared. I still have two using the curriculum.

Time4Learning is used by many thousands of families across the U.S. and in other countries. Hopefully a few of them will show up here to share their experiences with you.

Glad you visited the forum! Please stick around and share more of your experiences with us.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Krys is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Re: New to Homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, and welcome! You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Time4Learning has been our core curriculum since 2006. Since four have now graduated and gone on to college, I can report that they have been very well prepared. I still have two using the curriculum.

Time4Learning is used by many thousands of families across the U.S. and in other countries. Hopefully a few of them will show up here to share their experiences with you.

Glad you visited the forum! Please stick around and share more of your experiences with us.

Hello. I'm trying to get started with home schooling my grandson for kindergarten. I have no idea where to start. Where do I find info about what is required, i.e. Math, English, writing, reading and science, etc. I know this is an old thread but hopefully it's not too late to get info. Thx

Blog Entries

Hi, Krys. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. In general, homeschool laws are designed to be sure the child is really being taught . . . not to dictate how you must teach.

It looks like you are in Alaska. Alaska is easy! There are five options to homeschool, but only the first is actually homeschooling (where the parent directs the student's education). The rest of the "homeschool options" are actually things like hiring a private tutor or opening a private school. So, you would be interested in the first option:

Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 7 and 16 years of age. A child who is six years old andenrolled in the first grade in public school is subject to thecompulsory attendance law. A parent may withdraw such a childfrom public school within 60 days of enrollment, and the child willnot be subject to the compulsory attendance law until age seven.Alaska Stat. § 14.30.010(a) and (c).

Required Days of Instruction: None.

Required Subjects: None.

Home School Statute:Option 1: If the child “is being educated in the child’s home by a parent or legal guardian,” the child isexcepted from compulsory attendance. Alaska Stat. § 14.30.010(b)(12). Under this option, there are norequirements to notify, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any teacher qualifications.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

marla046 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation Re: New to Homeschooling

hi, i need some help here, says i need to post 3 times before anything shows up, so no spam gets thru.... i enrolled my teen son, who has health issues, in a "reputible" online school.....two months ago. I have had nothing but grief, supposedly they are having some internal issues with previous employees, so I had two "schools" contact me. Firstly the one that I contacted and set up payement, secondly another school of the same name claiming to be that school but had been hijacked over the internet, and that they were hijacking info from them. I am so unhappy and getting whiplash from this. My son cannot login on either of the sites, cannot do work.... I have been as patient as I can, and understanding, but my son has to get an education. Please help me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marla046 View Post
    hi, i need some help here Please help me.
    Hi! This is the parent forum for the Time4Learning curriculum. We are not an online school. We are an online homeschool curriculum. If you are not sure about the difference, please let me know and I will explain.

Here is where you sign up for access to our curriculum.

Here is a tour video to explain how it works.

Here is a place where you can view demo lessons.

You might also be interested in our free Welcome to Homeschooling guide!

If you have any specific questions about the curriculum, please post again and we'll be happy to help.
    Maryjones.tutor likes this.