New to Homeschooling
    Amarie8314@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

Hey there! My family and I recently moved to Midland, TX. I am interested in homeschooling 2 of my children. Can anyone please tell me where to begin?? I’m lost. Any help is appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Homeschooling

I'm not in Texas, but I wanted to welcome you to the Time4Learning parent forum!

Because I have some experience with the various states' homeschool laws, maybe I can help get you started. Texas is known as the least regulated state in which to homeschool, which gives you a great deal of freedom.(I'm not an attorney, and any information I provide is my "homeschool mom's" interpretation of what I find online today. Homeschool laws change on occasion.)

Texas doesn't require that you notify the school district, test your child, or provide anything to the state. Here is all they expect:

1. Teach the required subjects.

The required subjects are: math, reading, spelling and grammar, and a course in good citizenship.

Although science and history are not required by state law, any college your student applies to will require them for admittance, so you’ll want to make sure to teach those too.

Although Texas requires the above subjects, they do not specify the content of each subject so anything that can reasonably be called, for example, "math" will do. Time4Learning teaches good citizenship throughout its language arts curriculum and has a designated civics course at the high school level.

2. Use a written curriculum.

The private school law as interpreted by the Texas Supreme Court requires that you use some form of written curriculum (online programs meet this requirement) and that you operate your homeschool in a “bona fide” manner.

That just means that you can't simply discuss things with your child or let them watch DVDs and call that "school". It also means that you can say you are homeschooling just to avoid sending your child to school or to cover up something else you want to hide.

That's all Texas requires.

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Hopefully a Texan will come along to share their practical experience but, until then, I hope this helps a bit. Please let us know how things are going with this new endeavor!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!