New to Homeschooling, falling behind, 3rd and 4th grades
    berberlinn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question New to Homeschooling, falling behind, 3rd and 4th grades

This is my first year homeschooling. Tried a virtual school 2 years ago through K12 and hated it. Nothing but tears and stress all around. Kids back in public school last year, attitudes and bad language started coming home. Trying to homeschool on my own this year and nothing seems to be working. They hate the choices I've made, and trying to find a secular program is dang near impossible within my small budget. I've seen on here that some use this as a complete program and others supplement. How will I know if I need to supplement or if this will be all we need? My girls are so far behind right now I don't even know what to do to catch them up. We also need structure with the ability to work on areas that they struggle with, will this give me the structure we need but the flexibility to work slower (or move ahead)? Any advice is appreciated as I really have no support from family and no clue on what I'm doing. Thank you, Amber

bbooth is offline Member

Hello and welcome! I have used this curriculum for two years and have not had to supplement until third grade, and only with math and social studies. I feel that some subjects need to be supplemented but that is your decision. You will know if your child is not quite grasping something and then add things from there. I normally add worksheets and field trips. Hope this helps.

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Check your Department of Education website (usually they will have a list of things your child should know/be able to do by the end of each grade) and/or HSLDA for your state's requirements to decide if you need to supplement. For the state of Georgia T4L meets standards and I don't have to supplement anything (though sometimes I do just for fun). One of the best things with T4L is that each student has access to material one grade lower and one grade higher than what grade they are in, so if you find that you need to start further back on some items it's easy - or if your child is ahead in some areas then you can do that as well. One of the greatest things about homeschooling is that you can work with them individually on what they need, but you also have control over what they learn beyond the standards of the state requirements. My son loves doing school with T4L and in the year that we have used it (began in the middle of 3rd grade and are progressing through 4th grade now) I think he has learned more than I taught him in the first 2 and a half years. All programs and curricula are going to vary in what and when they teach. As long as they know what they need to know by the end of the school year, the rest is all just gravy. Good luck!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I would suggest starting your girls in the grade each is supposed to be in, then when they run across a chapter they feel they know about already let them try taking the quizzes and chapter tests. If they score to your satisfaction they get to move on, and in the process they get a boost to self esteem and get to control a little of their school time. If they are struggling, then have them do the lessons then retake the quizzes. If they are totally lost, back them up a grade, but only in that subject. It is really easy to have access to 3 grades at a time, so they can have their education tailor-made for their needs. I wish you lots of luck, and hope that things start going smoothly soon. Feel free to check back on the forums any time, someone here might have just the piece of advice you need, or the word of encouragement to get you through the day. We are also here to cheer your successes so please share them!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    I would suggest starting your girls in the grade each is supposed to be in, then when they run across a chapter they feel they know about already let them try taking the quizzes and chapter tests. If they score to your satisfaction they get to move on, and in the process they get a boost to self esteem and get to control a little of their school time. If they are struggling, then have them do the lessons then retake the quizzes.
    This is what I am doing with my boys except I started them a grade behind where they should be and they are just doing quizzes and tests until they reach something they don't understand. It is working well.

Shannongann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I am need of help I am looking for someone in my area that is willing to homeschool a 13 year old he has Autism and ADHD, with a mood disorder and learning disability.. the schools here are not doing very well and he is being bullied..

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Shannon.

The homeschool laws and requirements are different for each state. Here's a link on Information on Homeschooling in Kentucky. And this is a short analysis of the law for your state taken from the Homeschool Legal Defense Association. They are one of the best sources of information on home education.

The law states there are no teacher qualifications required to homeschool your child in Kentucky. In all but one state, the parents are the only ones who may homeschool their children. There are liability issues involved otherwise.

If you're considering homeschooling your child, Time4Learning is an online home-based program used for homeschooling or as a supplement to traditional education. The majority of our users are homeschoolers.

If you want to find a homeschool group in your area, or for any other questions related to your state, Time4Learning has this Kentucky Forum. There are other T4L forums you may want to check out, including a special needs forum.

Lastly, this is a free Guide to homeschooling, if you're interested in learning more.

I hope that helps, Shannon.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 11-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass