new to homeschooling!! PLZ HELP
    mommy2_3kiddos is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to homeschooling!! PLZ HELP

good morning! this is a new all very new to me! im lost!! i pulled my 7th grade daughter out of school a wk n half ago. wondering what wrk books should i get to go along with t4l. there is so many out there. i dont feel that t4l has enough work. such as extra math wrk sheets in such any 1 have any ideas plz help! i have been looking online for hours everyday. there is so much out there its just overwhelming! alot of web sites dont have 7th grade wrk sheets ive been looking for LA.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning.com!

Have you followed along w/ your child in the 7th grade curriculum? My son is doing the 5th and 6th grade levels in different subjects. And if I don't look through each lesson he will not "do" the hand written (typed) work. I am finding the more he does in each level there is more to do on paper (or in a word doc) to hand in to his adviser (Me). An example is there is a language arts activity in the 5th grade that they have to write a short story, with a rough draft and a final draft and another where they have to write a letter ideas, rough draft and final draft. You should not need any extra worksheet type stuff for LA. Unless you want to add more Spelling. Again, I did not realize that there were areas that needed written out until I stopped and flipped through them being sure not to hit the last page finished button. My son will only do the work I assign him so if it calls for writing and I did not assign it he will NOT do it.

Math has resource sheets you can print out for extra help on a concept your child might have issues on.

I hope that helps!
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hey!
    My daughter is doing 5th grade, and getting ready to start 6th grade science soon. First of all, welcome to homeschooling. It is a terrifying (but wonderful!) adventure, especially just starting out. I have to second what Brandy said about LA having more work than it first looks like. Almost every assignment has a written part, sometimes two. I agree that my daughter will skip those assignments and call it finished if I don't specifically check to see if they have been done. The other thing I wanted to add that sometimes it is hard to see how much work your child is doing because you don't have a pile of paper to show for it. At least for 5th grade, there are at least 6 problems per exercise, 3 of those are practice, 3 of those are for credit. There are resources for some of the math exercises that provide additional practice, and if you think your child still needs more practice in math see Chapter 15 of 7th grade math. It has many additional problems divided into catagories that match up with the other math chapter headings.
    A final thought...I know that I have to remind myself of this often (once or twice a week, on average!)...when sending our children to school they were often gone from the house for 9 or so hours a day. They were not learning school work all of that time, they were travelling, changing classes, having lunch breaks, recess, announcements, etc. You might find that in 3-5 hours a day with one-on-one instruction, she will get a whole lot more accomplished, and learn a great deal more than she would in a regular school day. Best of luck and stop by the Missouri group if you get a chance!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!
    Homeschooling on the Web!

thank you very much. im gonna look thru them now and see what i find.

thank you!im gonna look it up now

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

You may also feel that there isn't enough work for your daughter because you are use to public school. In public school they are in there for 6 hrs plus. Homeschooling one on one will not take that long. If you feel you need extra work there are printables for them to work on. I know another homeschool family that takes them all day to do school and their children are envy of my daughters not doing school all day. They took the CAT test and my daughters happen to be further along. So it all depends on your child's learning style.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

my2sons is offline Junior Member Newbie

Carol,
    About how long does it take for you guys daily to complete school? I have a 5th and a 7th grader.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I am not Carol, but it takes my son from 2 to 4 hours to do his school work. That includes the extra stuff we use that is not time4learning. He does his time for learning first thing. Usually first thing. My son is doing 5th and 6th grade work depending on the subject.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.