New to Homeschooling, where do I start?
    Dink is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling, where do I start?

Hi I am new to Homeschooling and I not exactly sure where to start. My 17 year old in 11 grade started having difficulty with teachers and fellow class mates so I have unenrolled him from our local public school. He still wants to get his high school dipoloma and we are are checking out this site. Questions, How do I meet the Georgia standards for testing so he can get get a diploma? Also is this program flexible so he could take his classess at any time during the day or night, he is considering a job to help the family out but I didn't know if he could work during the day and do the work at night or how does that work? I just need a little guidance in getting started.
    Thanks
    Dink

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Dink.

We've been homeschooling our kids for 13 years now. Our daughter graduates this year. Time4Learning is an online program/curriculum used by many homeschoolers around the world. It is all completely done on the internet, so your son can sign on and do it at any time of the day or night. It's a program designed for students to work on at their own pace. That's one of the things we love about it.

You should know, though, because Time4Learning is not a school but rather a tool/curriculum used by homeschooling families, students do not automatically graduate upon completing the T4L courses. Time4Learning is an online curriculum. Parents are the acting "Teacher of Record", and the home in which they teach is considered the school students will graduate from. As the teacher of record, it is up to the parent to compare Time4Learning with state standards to make sure that graduation requirements are satisfied. It is also the parent's responsibility to prepare transcripts.

We like Time4Learning because we prefer to be the teacher of record and we like the freedom of working at our own pace. But there are other options. There are umbrella schools. I don't know much about them to give you information, but you may be able to find info at Let's Homeschool High School.

For additional information on high school graduation requirements, we suggest checking out this link at LetsHomeschoolHighschool's high school graduation resources section. You can also find templates at that site which you can use to prepare transcripts and diplomas (if you want to create your own diploma).

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 04-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

sophiabowaus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi I am planning to put my son on home schooling. Just a few question.. Is it necessary that I will always look after him when he is homeschooling. Well of course he needs my guidance but is it like a classroom time that a teacher will always look after what he is doing? I really dont have the idea on how to do it. So im getting a lot of information before putting myself into this. thanks.

rlwheel is offline Junior Member Newbie

I homeschool our four children (ages 5, 8, 8, and 10). It is not necessary to constantly be looking over the student's shoulders or even to be in the same room. Time4Learning offers great reports and you will be able to match the curriculum to the child. In example, my 5 year old is in first grade in most subjects but has moved to second grade science and social studies whereas my twins have a mix of 3rd grade and second grade classes based on each one's personal abilities. My ten year old is in 5th grade but she is working on 6th grade Social Studies and Language Arts. If you check your students records at the end of the day (or every couple of days) you will get a good idea as to how they are doing. Monthly I print out all of the assignments completed/grades reports in order to make transcripts at a later date. We utilize Time4Learning as a "base" supplementing it with other curriculum and activities. We have been homeschooling for nearly six years now and this program offers everything we need and desire in one location.
    Respectfully,

Bob