New to the idea of Homeschooling
    uili42000 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to the idea of Homeschooling

Ok, I am trying to get all the info that I need to start homeschooling our 10yr old daughter. I live in De and i dont know if home schooled children are required to still take the DSTP tests, it does not say anything about it on the DOE website. Also, I feel like there are so many programs/curriculums out there, are there any to stay AWAY from? Thanks

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

You may want to post this over on the DE forum to ask about testing.

As far as curriculum, what one family loves may be totally inappropriate for another.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Here is the link for the DE state forum. And, here is a link to tips and info about homeschooling in DE.

Since you are new to homeschooling, you might find this short e-book of some help. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

Time4Learning is a super overall core curriculum. It allows your child to work at different levels within each subject, keeps all the records for you, allows your child to work at their own pace, is interactive, is aligned to state and national standards, is able to keep your child's attention, offers this great user forum, has a playground of educational games for the kids.... You can't go wrong using it.You can also supplement with VocabularySpellling City and Vocab_Fun, both of which are free to use. Add in anything your child has a special interest in learning. Take lots of field trips, join a co-op, watch great educational videos, use the library to the fullest... Homeschooling is about finding your child's needs and zeroing in on them. Be flexible and have FUN!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    I'm the moderator over on the Delaware forum, and we would love to have you over there. I think that you can probably get some good state specific answers on that board. I can't seem to find out if homeschool students are required to take DSTP tests, but I did find this from the DSTP website:
    "
    Who should I contact if I want to find out more about the DSTP?

You can find lots of information about the DSTP and Delaware’s accountability
    system on the DSTP website at DEDOE Delaware Student Testing Program (DSTP) [Delaware Department of Education]. If you have a
    specific question for which you cannot find an answer, please call the DSTP
    hotline at 1-877-838-DSTP.

Perhaps the hotline can give you the answers you need for this. Let us know what you find out!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!