New to the Idea of Homeschooling. Advice? Opinions?
    aldelimont is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to the Idea of Homeschooling. Advice? Opinions?

I have two boys that are currently enrolled to start Pre-K this year. We are new to the area and are slowly realizing we may have made a mistake by choosing this location. I was excited and all for my boys to get out and start public school, which would give me time with my young daughter, but we feel that they would be better off being taught at home for the time being. Can anyone tell me your positive and negative experiences on homeschool? I'm afraid I may be taking on too much with this since I also have a 12 month old daughter, but I most definitely want what will be best for my children's education. Thanks for the responses!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I think the good outweighs the bad for me. In the beginning, I was too public schoolish for my daughter. I was a classroom teacher so I ran our homeschool like my classroom--not the answer at all! I should have taken a little time for my daughter to de-school first, and I should have taken into account her learning challenges. It's not like I wasn't aware of them, just wanted to make sure I covered EVERYTHING she might need as far as schooling goes. I should have been more in tune with what she was interested in and focusing on that in order to cover her weak areas.

You can homeschool with a baby, many do it everyday. When the baby is sleeping you can accomplish one-on-one learning. Using Time4Learning will make the process much easier since they do the record keeping and have all the lessons laid out for you. Your boys will love the playground. At such a young age, you really don't have to put in many hours a day at all. Short lessons are better anyway. Having fun and learning go together so well at the pre-k age.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The definite positives are:

~ We've been able to tailor your child's education to meet their needs and don't have to worry about them trying to fit into a cookie cutter shape set of standards set by someone else.
    ~ We've been able to handle behavior issues, education issues, special needs the way we feel is necessary without having to go through a chain of command or worrying that something might slip through the cracks.
    ~ Choosing curricula that works for each individual child instead of making oen thing work for everyone, no matter their strengths and weaknesses.
    ~ We have the freedom to school the way we want to school, and can turn almost anything into a lesson - a trip to the grocery store can be an eye-opening experience ... museums, festivals, etc ... without having to chaperone 14 other kids , being able to stay late if we want, and spend the time where we want.
    ~ Not having to write an excuse note if we need to go to the doctor or just take a mental health day.
    ~ Planning family trips when you want to without worrying about them missing school
    ~ Not having to spend a fortune on school clothes or uniforms - AND homeschooling in jammies rocks
    ~ Ok, honestly there's about a zillion more that I could add on here.... so I'll just leave it where it is

Negatives:
    ~ Constantly feeling the need to justify our decision to EV. ER. Y. ONE. even though it really is none of their business.
    ~ Constantly trying to work on down time for me with hubby's changing working schedule. If I don't get a break from the kids every day then I want to kill them. Education would be moot.
    ~ Trying to explain algebraic functions while the 2yo is ripping apart my make-up bag. Again.
    ~ My 11yo challenging every decision I make. It doesn't stop with just taking the trash out, it bleeds over into school too.

For us, the negatives are rough, but I can get through them with great friends, a good cup of coffee and a husband that makes me laugh my rear end off. The positives more than make up for the negatives
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Jess,

You are such a wealth of knowledge! I am always impressed with your replies. I know you do a super job of schooling your kids. Keep up the fantastic work!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks jackie ... all I do is try
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Homeschooling is a total lifestyle! It will probably get wrapped into every part of your day in one way or another. I'm a former public school teacher.

Pros: We are a tight family unit. We more or less do everything together. I witness pretty much every part of my children's lives. I get to be a part of it! Call me a control freak but this means I get to make the decisions about their education. I like that.
    Where I live we have a full on winter. I don't have to drag myself or my baby out twice a day in the cold to get my kids too and from school. No worries about shoveling the driveway or deicing the van!
    I get to make learning a lot more fun than it is at our public schools. I get to make it come alive by getting out in the world and experiencing things.
    We get to take vacations whenever we want! We get to extend vacations for as long as we want.
    We get to make family a priority. My sons are close, very close. I don't think that'd be true if they were separated most of that day.
    Though my children certainly do think about what their friends think is cool, I'm a bigger influence because we are pretty much always together.
    My list could go on forever.

Cons: Though it is becoming more popular it is still a fringe thing to do. It makes some people uncomfortable. They don't understand it and they think I'm crazy for doing it. It is part of what has put a strain on my relationship with some of my family.
    I'm tired. It is work! It is responsibility! I am pretty much ALWAYS with my children! I don't get much of a break and neither does my house! It is never as clean as I think it'd be if they went to school.
    Financially it is a strain.
    All of the above stresses out sometimes.
    The baby, she doesn't nap so well. There is always so much going on when we are at home. Or, on the flip side. We are out a lot too which interferes.
    Sometimes I'm stressed because of the above.

I wouldn't trade it for the world! It really works for our family!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Homeschooling takes hard work, dedication, and a true love for your children. I'm not talking, "I gave birth to them, of course I love them". I'm talking, "I love my child intensely,enough to take on yet another full time job (teaching), in addition to my other duties (work, cook, driver, laundry person, yard person, grocery getter, etc), I am willing to be in the presence of my kids basically 24/7, and I am willing to stand up to family, friends, church, co-workers, perfect strangers, etc., to justify my sanity, credentials, and intelligence on a fairly regular basis to do this" sort of love, the "I haven't been to the bathroom alone in 11 years because my child and the 110 pound dog think mom in the bathroom = captive audience, so let's talk about black holes, gravitational pull, and get ear scratches." sort of love (LOL, yes, I have heard of doors, and locks, but then they just stand outside and whine, and yell at me through the door!)
    I know homeschool moms who jump at every opportunity to get a break from their kids. You have to know when you take on homeschooling that it is truely a lifestyle decision. And for many homeschoolers, school does not end at 3pm.
    Those things might sound like negatives, the way that I stated them, so I'll add a few of the many positives now.
    You get to spend a lot of time with your kids. You will have control over what they learn, who they associate with, moral education, dress style, etc. You will know on an hourly basis, if your child gets a concept, no waiting 9weeks for a report card to tell you that they just didn't get multiplication. And a point that goes along with that one, and it might be a little selfish on my part...I love to see the light in my daughter's eyes, and the look on her face when a new concept clicks...she gets it. I get a large charge out of seeing the wheels turning, and things connecting in my daughter's head as we do school. Can I add that homeschooling has made me a smarter person and kept me younger? I have discovered a whole world of things I had forgotten, or never knew to begin with.
    I used to be in the "I would never homeschool, it is BAD" camp. That is until it became the only option for my family. Now, I can truely say, we love it, will never voluntarily go back to any other type of schooling, and I can't imagine why we didn't do it sooner.
    Wow, I just made my life sound insane. Maybe it is...just a little bit. Did I mention I have an only child? You might get bathroom breaks alone if your children will occupy each other

P.S. Jess--you get down time?! And yes, my 11 year old challenges every decision I make also, is this because we taught them to think for themselves? Now, why would we go and do a thing like that?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!