new with a question
    jmtrj69 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new with a question

Hello, I am new to Homeschooling in a sense, I have been doing Preschool activites with my son for the past year and a half, no curriculum, just workbooks, computer games (freddi fish, jump start, blues clues, pajama sam, etc..) reading books, etc...
    I have been researching curriculums for a while now and had been set on Sycamore tree, until I read about T4L in a homeschool forum. When I came to this site and had my son try it out, he really liked it, and I know that being online, it will work well with him and his learning style.
    I have made up my mind to do T4L along with some supplement, when he starts KNDG this fall.
    My question pertains to the future. I know this is a curriculum and not a school, and from what I have read, I know that I should name my homeschool for transcripts and such, but I need some help in understanding the big picture of what is all needed down the road for when he is ready for college, What info is needed??, what documentation??, I just do not want to mess anything up now that will affect him down the road.
    Oh, and one more thing, when I name my homeschool, do i need to register that name or not??

Thank you
    Joy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Joy. Welcome to the Time4Learning.

CLick here to read the homeschooling laws pertaining to Ohio.

You do not need to name your homeschool. Many people do for convenience and fun.

There are no requirements for recordkeeping in Ohio, so you may decide what to keep. You don't need to do anything until the year your student will be six years of age by September 1st. Beginning then, all you need to do is submit an intent to homeschool each year. Your school district should have the form. Check with the superintendent's office instead of a school.

Also beginning that year, you will need to have your child tested annually and submit their scores. (There are alternatives to testing that you can discuss with the superintendent's office.) Check with other homeschoolers in your area about where they have their students tested.

Once your student reaches high school, you will want to keep a portfolio of his/her work and a transcript. Colleges aren't going to be interested in the work done before high school. My son's college accepted the transcript I generated on my home computer, which I merely called "Homeschool Transcript". They also accepted my homemade diploma.

Many colleges are recruiting homeschooled students and are mostly interested in entrance exam test scores. There are a few colleges that will want to review your child's portfolio, and even fewer that will require a diploma from a traditional school. If your child wants to apply to a college that requires a traditional diploma, there are options. A couple of them are obtaining a GED or taking prerequisites at a community college first, at which point the college will want to see college records instead of high school records.

The bottom line is that the records you keep right now are unlikely to affect your student's high school or college career. Let teaching/learning be the focus and let recordkeeping take second place. Do keep the records required by your state, of course.

If you intend to put your student in public high school, do it before ninth grade. Public high schools will usually not give credit for homeschool high school work, unless you jump through a lot of hoops.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!