New with questions!
    CyndiLJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New with questions!

Hi Everyone!

Let me first introduce ourselves. We are the LaJoy's, we have 3 sons...Matthew, Joshua and Kenny...PreK, 2nd and 3rd grade. We are public schooling but have considered homeschooling since Day 1, but it just hasn't felt right for us yet...not so much fear but not 100% sure it is right for our family and our social little guys. We have "afterschooled" all along to one degree or another, nothing formal but just doing what comes naturally sometimes with workbooks, sometimes with activities, sometimes with the internet around books from the library.

We have been concerned all along about the gaps in our kids education from the school system. Matthew, our 3rd grader, is very bright...not gifted but well above average in many areas, and is the kind of kid who totally will stay on task and is a self-directed learner. Last year wasn't too bad but this year in his class there are only 11 of the 25 kids reading even at baseline, which leaves every subject a struggle for the entire class as it has to be slowly explained because almost half the class can't read! He is a patient little guy but I can see him becoming frustrated and a little bored with what is going on, even though the level of much of the work is not overly easy for him...just moving way too slow. His best subjects are ones covered only about an hour and a half every other wek...social studies and science, which I think is horrid but we supplement a lot at home os he gets it in other ways.

Kenny, our 2nd grader is new to America, having been adopted in June from an orphanage in Kyrgyzstan (my other two sons are also adopted from Kazakhstan but as infants) and while his language acquisition is excellent, he had essentially no scholling at all prior to arriving here and due to maturity was placed in 2nd grade but he is skipping all the really important basics from K and 1st grade which worries me to no end. We know it will be years before this very smart little guy catches up, but if he doesn't get the fundamentals in more than a hit or miss fashion we fear it will be much harder on him...and we may not even know for sure where the caps are.

Joshie is our PreK who is not really interested in school at all and is pretty immature for almost 5 in some ways, and yet in others is our little old man . He loves "screen time" which we limit a lot, but thought this might be a way of creating some active interest in learning things. We may have some developmental issues there, not sure yet, but hopefully will know in time.

So through hours and hours of searching, I finally found this. I didn't want to bore my kids to tears over more worksheets and boring learning after a full day at school, and I wanted a concrete way of monitoring their progress and hopefully filling in those gaps from school. We still talk about fully homeschooling but frankly, the social aspects of it concern me. I know, I know there are homeschooling groups, etc that we can hook up with and if it were just for me I'd homeschool in a heartbeat because I LOVE being with my kids and think we are not getting enough family time when school takes up so much of the day...with many wasted hours for the boys. But for whatever reasons I can't quite pinpoint yet, it doesn't feel like a leap we should take this year so maybe this will be our baby step towards it...no sure yet.

Soooooo...after that lengthy novelette, let me ask a couple of questions:

1) We are signed up but I can't tell where I go to see what grade level has been assigned to each child...can you tell me where to look? I want to make sure Kenny is at the Pre-K level so we can make up what he hasn't gotten and reinforce the little he has so far.
    2) Are the worksheets you can rptin out with some assignments just plain old worksheets, or do they offer suggestions for other activities to reinforce the learning?
    3) I know many of you are using this as a basis for your homeschooling curriculum, no doubt supplementing for some subjects, but how about for those who are reinforcing public education...is this effective and how much time per week do ou recommend we use it?
    4) Are your kids REALLY showing improvements with this program? This is a considerable expense for us and we are worriesd it will be more entertainment than education. We like what we see from the samples but wonder about success in "real life".

Thanks so much for your help! I read some of the posts on the board prior to signing up and it really helped.

Warmly,
    Cindy LaJoy
    www.lajoyfamily.blogspot.com

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello, Cyndi. Welcome to the board!

1) Information regarding levels is available here. You need to log in as your student, click on a "subject" icon, and look at the upper, right-hand side of the screen. The grade level will be indicated in light blue.

There is no subject icon for Pre-K. The lessons are just called "Playbox".

2) The printable resources are, for the most part, worksheets. Answer keys and additional resources are available in the parent login. Click here to find out how to access them. Additional resources available vary according to grade level. Many of them do, indeed, offer suggestions for extension activities.

In Pre-K, the ideas for extension activities are included in the lesson plans.

3) Here is some information on using Time4Learning as an after-school supplement.

4) An Internet search will return many results from Time4Learning users whose children have been helped using this program. Hopefully, others will come along and share their own experiences with you.

We're happy to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mississippimom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Cyndi,

I too researched extensively before joining T4L. I now know it is the best placement for my children. My children are 9 and 8 and are in 4th and 3rd grades. I chose 4th grade language arts and 3rd grade math because my 3rd grader is advanced in reading and in math I wanted to make sure I was filling in the gaps. I use T4L as my primary curriculum and supplement with art, music, penmanship and reading. T4L seems different because we are used to a more spiral approach where a little bit of everything is thrown into daily lessons. T4L uses a mastery approach where subjects become more challenging in upper grade levels. Kelly says it better than I. Anyway, my kids love that it is entertaining, but they are also learning so much. I read in a post one time when I was researching that their kids couldn't wait to "do school" and I thought "What a crock!." I am happy to say that I was proved wrong! I keep thinking this is so good, I must be doing something wrong. But then my 3rd grader will give me some information on ancient civilizations or suffixes at the dinner table and I almost want to cry! I hope you choose T4L and good luck.

Staci

gulfmiss is offline Member Newbie

Default Welcome

I just wanted to welcome you to Time4Learing. I am from Mississippi also and I homeschool my 10 year old granddaughter.

gulfmiss is offline Member Newbie

Default Oops!

I posted to the wrong note--but, welcome to the Time4Learning board.