New with questions about 1st grade Language Arts
    artistmomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New with questions about 1st grade Language Arts

Hello! i am a homeschooling mom of 3 dds, 6,3, and 1.5. am very interested in time4learning! i have a number of questions....

'm looking at t4l to provide some variety in my 1st grader's studies.
    She loves the computer and of course doesn't love workbooks...
    in K we did lots of activities and lapbooks...

'm looking at t4l specifically for the Language arts as part of a core LA program and at Math as a supplement to Singapore Math.

Which leads me to a question...
    it looks as if a 1st grader wouldn't spend much time putting pencil to paper with t4l...it seems it is geared toward cementing reading skills.

is there any actual writing of any kind included in the Language Arts program? How much and what kids of writing activities are there...are the work sheets for doing any writing?

'm thinking of supplementing with a light early grammar curriculum, with writing assignments...would this be "rounding out" the program for our needs, or would be doubling up on the grammar and writing?

Also, how difficult would it be to place her,at the beginning, in the middle of the first grade program? She's a decent reader and has basically been through 1st grade material last year--- just don't think she's ready for the demands of second grade LA yet.

--and to make the decision on where to place her, is the lesson plan my only source of info or can i "skip ahead" to view lessons and activity sheets?

Thanks so much for whatever insight you can provide!

artistmom

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hello, and welcome!

Time4Learning is a complete curriculum, which does not REQUIRE supplementation. I have been especially impressed with the language arts program. You certainly may supplement with extra grammar and writing, although these are covered very thoroughly. There are printable resources ("worksheets") available for many lessons. Here is a sample of a first grade writing activity.

Here is information on where to locate the worksheets. Some parents have their child do JUST the online work. Others have their children do the online work AND all of the associated worksheets. And some parents have their children mainly do the online work, printing worksheets only for areas that the child is finding troublesome.

It would not be difficult to place your child in the middle of the language arts program. One of my own children was already reading well, but not ready for the second grade material. I started her where the first grade "ILA" activities begin (which is not quite halfway through the program, just past the phonics activities). That stands for "Integrated Language Arts" . . . covering reading, grammar, composition, etc. If you do that, you will notice that each lesson is based on a "book" (online) offered in several formats: "Read to Me", "Read Along", "I Can Read", etc. Don't feel you have to have her go through the book multiple times. You may choose one or two formats that are appropriate for her reading ability.

You may preview lessons by logging in as your child and accessing the lesson. Although the time you spend previewing will show up on her reports, the lesson will not be marked as "Complete" unless you allow it to run all the way through.

Some parents print their child's reports for the day and THEN do previewing for the following day. That way, the parent preview doesn't show up on the printed reports.

I hope this has helped. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

artistmomof3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the info

'm happy to hear it is such a complete program. That might make it easier for us!

i was not able to view the sample worksheet page. it seemed to kick the page off as soon as it accessed it.

is there another way i might view one of the worksheets?

Thanks so much!

artistmom

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Do you have the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed? It is necessary to view and print the worksheets. If you do not have it, you can download it here.

If you still can't see it, please Private Message your email address to me and I will email you a sample.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!