New and Really Confused
    CindyTenn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New and Really Confused

I'm a pretty smart person (I like to think), but I'm really struggling with where to start on this program. It would be nice if there was a manual/guidebook available for parents to reference, instead of just the online Help section that doesn't answer my questions.

Does the Assignment feature of this program work? Is there a way for me to access the available courses and add them to my child's assignments section? If not, it will be really difficult for him to understand how to navigate if I'm not sitting there with him the entire time. I was hoping there would be one location he could visit to click on the assigned courses I gave him. Is this not the way this program works?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There is a bit of a learning curve when starting with a new curriculum. I usually suggest that parents plan on taking a couple of sessions getting acquainted with Time4Learning before their student begins.

The "Assignments" feature is meant for schools and is not available to individual users.

http://www.time4learning.com/hints/Hint ... ents.shtml

Most families have their student click on a subject icon and then just keep clicking on whatever the arrow points to until the student reaches an activity. In this way, all material is covered in the intended sequence.

To use this as a self-paced program, require the student to work a certain amount of time in each subject and then allow access to the Playground. Students working at level three or below have a timer on their accounts that you can set for the time you specify. Students in higher grades have access to the Playground, but not the timer. Parents sometimes set a kitchen timer or alarm clock.

If you need your student to complete a grade level in a certain amount of time, you can look at the lesson plans. Divide the number of learning activities in a subject by the number of school days the student has in which to complete them. This will tell you how many learning activities per day a student needs to do in order to finish on time. Lesson plans may be accessed here:

http://www.time4learning.com/scope-sequence/index.shtml

If you want to custom-design your student's curriculum, you may again look at the lesson plans. Choose the activity you want your student to work on and manually input the Lesson Activity Number to access the activity. You can see where to input that number here:

http://www.time4learning.com/hints/Hint ... nder.shtml

Please feel free to ask as many questions as necessary.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

2tadpoles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    The "Assignments" feature is meant for schools and is not available to individual users.
    Do you think it might be possible to indicate that somewhere on the parent admin page? I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to assign work to my son.

And why isn't it available to individual users?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning!

I'll pass your suggestion on. The "Assignments" button is mentioned in the hints for getting started.

CompassLearning provides their curriculum to schools only. Time4Learning has acquired a license from them that allows T4L to offer the curriculum to individuals and families. However, CompassLearning has chosen to not allow access to certain features.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

CindyTenn - Thanks and Sorry.

Thanks for the idea about highlighting how assignments work. In our new login pages which will come online soon, this is now mentioned right on the parents' login page (at the bottom). BTW - the new parents login page is active, please give it a try. It's a cleaner presentation of our features. The new children's login pages will also have that look.

Sorry because we feel that we still have not found the best ways to provide information to parents.

We did have a manual for awhile which we tried to keep current at great expense. We found that about 3% of the parents ever downloaded it and eventually, we obsoleted it.

We switched to the online hints approach with extensive support structures. We answer the phones around 48 hours per week! We answer emails and provide this forum 7 days/week.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

wtygart is offline Junior Member Newbie

One of thing I do as far as Math goes is have the kids Test in a section First. What ends up happening is the child Masters certain sections (even if they get a 35% they can master some sections) and then you can go to the sections that they haven't mastered and have them go through the lesson.

[img:1024:611]http://www.honestmortgage.net/T4L3.JPG[/img]

[img:1024:611]http://www.honestmortgage.net/T4L2.jpg[/img]

I am not sure if this helps or not but I was where you were, not sure where to start as far as math and I didn't want the kids to do redundant work. Using the tests before and after the kids go to an section has been a great tool and the kids love "testing out of" particular sections.