Newbie Here

Thread: Newbie Here

TXMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie Here

Well I just signed up for the free trial today and am looking forward to using this program.
    A bit about myself. Been married for 12 yrs, daughter just turned 12 and my son is 10. We decided not to send them to school due to our own personal experiences there ourselves. Both of us had subjects we were good at and subjects we weren't good at and felt our own experience with public school wasn't very good.
    We've been doing most of the teaching ourselves. Both of our kids have subjects they are good at, but there are subjects they aren't good at. I hope Time4Learning can help in the subjects they struggle with.
    My daughter for instance is just terrible in math, and I know that she is behind for her age. I feel for her as I watch her struggle with this subject. She is often embarrassed cause she isn't very good with math, she is behind and some kids in our neighborhood have made fun of her. I keep telling her it is ok, I too was terrible in math in school and was very behind in that subject myself. Even with terrible progress in math, I kept getting put in the next grade which is something I never understood. Til this day, math is very difficult for me.
    My son on the other hand is terrible in language arts. He isn't a great reader and struggles with some issues of language arts that according to the grade levels set by the government, he should be farther along.
    I for one have never really understood this whole grade level thing, lol. Personally, I believe each child is an individual and has their own strengths and weeknesses in various subjects. While math and language arts are subjects my kids struggle with, they are incredibly intelligent in other areas.
    I hope Time4Learning can help them with the subjects they struggle with. I know I will have to continue helping them in these areas, but I hope this program will also help as well.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. This looks like a nice forum.

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

Hi and welcome,
    my name is dayna and I homeschooling my youngest 2 right now. My son 13 is using T4L for LA and Math. He is also struggling with Math but also has a problem with not paying attention and getting distracted easily. He has adhd. T4L has helped for the most part to keep his attention but I still need to check on him from time to time and help out with it once in awhile. But I am good with Math so I guess I am lucky there

He is in 8th grade and doing 7th grade Math so the one great thing about T4L is you can adjust the grade level to fit your childrens needs. There is a great site brainpop, they cost some $ but do have some that is free. They have helped to strengthen some of his math skills and LA skills. They have a great little movie and then a quiz afterwards. I use it to supplement.

My daughter who is 8 also uses brainpop, I will be adding her here when she gets older.

I also struggled with PS and ended up pulling my son out of 1st grade to be homeschooled when the final straw was when he got stabbed in the arm with a pencil and all they could tell me was not to worry because they are not made of lead anymore so I pulled him, my daughter may never go to public school unless it is for 1 -2 classes. She loves homeschooling so that helps.
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Welcome. My son is 10 and in fifth grade and doing work in many grade levels depending on his abilities. I agree each kid is an individual and we should focus on their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Like his mama math is his best subject so I have him at grade level there with a little review in fourth grade fractions. He could possibly go up to 6th grade but there are a few things we didn't work a lot on last year so I want him to be at a good comfort level with them before I move him up. Grammar is by far his worst subject, again like his mama. He is doing 3rd and 4th grade La extensions, 5th grade Language arts, 4th grade science and social studies. He actually tested high in science and social studies last year but it was our first year homeschooling so we didn't cover all that needed to be covered and again I want him to feel comfortable before we move him up.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

TXMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to know my kids aren't the only ones who are at grade level on some subjects, and are behind their grade level on other subjects. I don't agree with the whole concept of grouping kids by their age and saying they should all know the same thing at that age, lol. It can be difficult though at times. Even my mother has made comments like, "he should be better at reading at this age", "she is behind in math for her age" "maybe you should put them in school". It can be very aggervating trying to explain to my mother that they are great in subjects, and a few, they aren't so great in. It was the same for me at this age.
    Look forward to this program and the kids have already gotten started on it. I'm in the process of navigating around and checking things out and learning the ropes of this program. I have liked what I have seen so far, and the kids have started a few things, and they seem to like it too.

BTW, my name is Ava. Forgot to mention that the first time.

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

Welcome Ava and family!
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Welcome!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Ava. Welcome!

The Time4Learning blog recently addressed children working at different grade levels. You might find it interesting reading.

Glad to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mommatomyblessings is offline Member Regular

Welcome My daughter just started time4learning last week and we are loving it. She was in PS up until two weeks ago. Lauren has struggled in Math always because they never let the kids learn it before moving onto something else in PS. She is in the 6th grade but using this site I put her in the 5th grade math. She was at first upset because she took it as an insult but I pulled her aside and said that it was perfectly fine and it wasn't her fault but this time she could learn it right.
    Amanda & Travis

Parents to our 4 kids
    Lauren (Brooke) - 12
    Zachery - 10
    Sarah - 6
    Jackson - 2