Newbie question

Thread: Newbie question

debra is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Newbie question

Probably showing my newbie colors here but I will ask anyway
    My daughter just started today. She is in 8th grade but at a 5th grade level in Math and LA according to the scope and sequence. So that is the level I said she was. Will the program automatically advance her to the next level when she finishes the 5th grade work and on up until she gets to grade level?
    Thanks, Debra

carolynw76 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Yes.
    As well as you can contact customer support at any time to change her grade level in that subject.

My son is in 7th grade, and is also starting at 5th grade math.

demiking16 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Scope and Sequence

What exactly is the scope and sequence. My son is supposed to be in 8th grade but I started him at 7th grade level. However, I just made that determination on my own. I am wondering if I should have him tested and start over.
    Demi

Carylin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default to the newbies...

One of the things I like best about this program is the flexibility! I printed out the scope and sequence (on the left side of the main page) to see exactly what is covered in each grade and subject.

My student (6th) has been doing well following the lessons in the order that the arrows suggest for math and science. Math is sequential and for science we can select a different unit topic from another grade if he has already covered it.

For language arts if you follow the suggested arrows you won't get to grammar or spelling until later. Spelling appears to have 9 units with 30 words each-3 lesson bubbles per unit so you could spread it out 1 bubble per week. (You're supposed to study and learn these over time anyway- not all at once!) I will mix in the grammar too. I am letting him do "extra" vocabulary from the other grade levels because he enjoys the way it is presented and choosing the reading comprehension units based on the literature topics he likes most.

The scope and sequence is very helpful for social studies as well. I made a list of the chapter topics for 5th, 6th and 7th. I can easily see that we will go back to the end of 5th for some geography and economics areas that he is weak on and I noticed that all of 7/8th is US history only.

All in all I don't think that 'grade level' really matters except in the area of reading comprehension--you want your student to be slightly challenged not at a level that is too easy or too frustrasting. Have fun with it!
    Carylin

cookie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default newbie question??

I wish I could print out the scope and sequence with all the numbers. My pages are cut off so I cant print them and then enter the number we wish to do that day. Any suggestions?? Also, does anyone know why n/a is on the some of the reports???
    Thanks for the info.
    Cookie

Linn is offline Member Regular

Default Re: newbie question??

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    I wish I could print out the scope and sequence with all the numbers. My pages are cut off so I cant print them and then enter the number we wish to do that day. Any suggestions?? Also, does anyone know why n/a is on the some of the reports???
    Thanks for the info.
    Cookie
    I'm sorry, I don't know why n/a is on some of the reports.

I did have the same problem you had printing the Scope & Sequence though. Here's a link to my original topic about it:

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

Following Carolyn's advice, I did a print preview. Then I selected the "Landscape" setting (in Page Setup). I knew this setting would print longways on the paper (which in turn uses more paper than Portrait setting) but at least all the activity numbers are there!

I'm sure there is a better way to do it, just not sure what it is.

Having the Lesson Plans in PDF format would certainly be nice!