Not sure what to do!
    Hollib82 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Not sure what to do!

I am homeschooling now for my 3 kids, which I pulled out of public school in October. (I had just had enough, ya know?) The program I am using is over whlming for me and my kids. I am not happy with how Kindergarten is for my 5 year old son, and we end up doing most supplemented work that I come up with. My 8 year old daughter has trouble working quickly, and doing Math...or anything hard or boring!! haha!! She loves, loves, loves to read!!! This program puts so much pressure on both her and I . SO many deadlines, and hard to make our own personal schedule when there is so much do all the time! Way too much work in my eyes at times. I imagined being able to take control of their education, but with the program we are using, that can never happen. For Hayley doing Math means tears... doing work books for Social Studies means tears... basically nothing really goes her way. I am scared she may speak up and say she actually liked public school better!! YUCK!!!!

MY question is.... what actually is T4L? IS this an accredited school, with deadlines and do dates? Or is this something i would use in conjunction with my own program? I am thinking of not actually enrolling them in an actual online school, but rather get a years worth of curriculum and teach them myself with my own deadlines and schedule. What do you guys recommend? Any advice for a new homeschooling mother who is pulling her hair out to gain some control?? Not to mention a mom who just wants her kids to love learning.

Thanks for any responses!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

Time4Learning is NOT an accredited school. There are no deadlines or due dates. It is a curriculum. You can use it entirely on it's own or you can supplement with other things. The choice is yours. You can customize this curriculum any way you see fit. You can work at your children's pace. You move as quickly or as slowly as you'd like. You can work any time, day or night, weekends or holidays, and as many days in a week as you prefer. You, the parents, are in control of everything.

The other beauty of it is that children can work at whatever level is best for them. They can be level 1 language arts and level 2 science and K math if that is what is best. All of it is up to you.

My advice to you is to quit whatever it is your are doing and then take a couple of months OFF! Children need a period of decompressing after they've been in institutionalized school. I think they'd need it all the more after being is this program you've just described. Google deschooling for more information on this. During this time just have fun! Take some field trips, spend some time at the library, visit your museums... etc. Then check out the trial version of Time4Learning. See what you think.

Good luck!

melaknee is offline Junior Member

I totally agree with Momma Crystal. I just very recently pulled my 8 year old out of school and joined t4l. Before I did this, I read every single post and discussion thread on this website, I mean every single one. I wanted to know everything, every pro and con. I rented well over 15 library books about HSing and the cons, I played devils advocate with myself. I went on dozens of home schooling websites and read comments from people for and against HSing. I learned so much, but a bit overwhelming too. I looked at how long each person has been on t4l and read how they are still very happy with it after many years and many children, and their children loved it too. So far my DD really likes it, we did the 14 day trial and we did all the demo lessons first. I have not found anything against t4l except that it does not go past 8th grade! I think you will really like it. Good luck to you!

Hollib82 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Well, i got both your post right away and really took in the advice and advice from others. Not to mention all the research! So, thank you so much for your thoughts. I am taking the advice and it feels good! I need to gain some control over my kids, a parent can feel extremely lost and helpless wrapped up in a school system. I do have to research the laws here in a Ohio a bit, because it is confusing for me. Also, I don't see any info on a 14 day trial. How do I go about that? And also, I am wondering how colleges will except some one without an accredited education. Any info on this would be very helpful Have a great day ladies!!