Not Sure What To Do
    valerie77 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Not Sure What To Do

I was going to post this over on the Washington threads, but noticed that there has not been much activity there lately and I really need some answers and/or advice! Here is my predicament...

We live in a very rural area with two schools that are available to us. I have two boys, 5th & 7th, who have attended public school from the beginning. After many issues that were happening, I transferred schools (just this past Feb.), thinking that would solve the problems. Well, it just opened up a whole new set of problems. I just found out last night that my fifth grader was held in for lunch recess to finish an essay that he was late getting in. Not only did they hold him in, they did not allow him to eat his lunch until his work was done, so therefore my son only had like two minutes to try to eat something. This is the second time they have done this. My seventh grader is being picked on and getting hit and shoved because he's new and the girls like him, so it makes the other boys mad. Both of them are starting to have mysterious stomach aches constantly and we are all so stressed out! I can not send them back to the other school due to my parting last words when one of the teachers had repeatedly called my oldest "stupid and immature".

My question is, can I pull them out of school without having my qualifying class? I understand that it is required for Washington State, but is there some sort of grace period to get it after you pull your kids? I want to pull them as in today! Do you think if I sign up for one, that would be ok, since then I would be in the process of obtaining it? Any information and support you can give me is so greatly appreciated! My husband is behind me in this decision, but the rest of our family will not be, but I will deal with them!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Valerie, I'm going to move your post to the Washington forums, but leave a copy here, so people in either location have a chance to respond.

You might check with the school superintendent. It's my understanding that they have the authority to deem you capable without your having to take a class. It could help if you showed him/her copies of the T4L lesson plans.

Hopefully, you will receive a response from people with experience in Washington state. It looks like they are fairly restrictive.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mcmary is offline Member

Hi Valerie,

I tried to reply to this in the Washington section but didn't see it, so I'm replying here... in Washington you need to either have a certain number of college credits to homeschool (the requirement is less than a bachelor's degree) or you can take classes. I'm assuming that is what you are referring to. If I recall correctly I knew someone who was taking the classes and I think she was simultaneously already homeschoolling. I'm not sure though. If you contact the department of ed in Olympia they should be able to answer your questions. You will need to complete an intent to homeschool form. Another option is to find out about a public Washington online school (they are free) such as Columbia Virtual Academy. Our school district offers a homeschooling program called Family Link. It's great- my daughter can take classes at the middle school, enroll in enrichment classes (located on the high school campus), and do homeshooling. She is in seventh grade and uses T4L for social studies and language arts. It sounds as if homeschooling might be a great choice for your family. The stresses that you mentioned won't exist any more! Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions!

DBalt is offline Junior Member

Just my opinion, but the online schools in WA are just fantastic! I have worked with a few previously and I am in a different state but I just love the people I worked with. Everyone has such a support for the homeschooling community. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Breaks my heart to hear how middle school kids struggle and some just still cannot be accepting to others.

IanandMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Valerie,

I understand where you are coming from - I just pulled my 1st grader out of school last month to start homeschooling him. I also have a 9th grade son who is really struggling, but he is insistant that he doesn't want to be homeschooled, so I am waiting until the end of the school year to see how things go for him.
    Under WA laws, you need to either (a) take the class, (b) have taken 45 college credits, (c) be under the supervision of a certificated teacher, or (d) get approval from your school district superintendent (I hear this last one very rarely happens). A couple of notes - the class can be done online/by CD-ROM - look online for agencies in Washington that offer this (this site has good resources Teaching Parents Association) , and option (c) doesn't mean that your child has to go to a regular class, or that the teacher sets his curriculum. It means that you meet with a teacher regularly (our district here sets you up to meet twice a month), to discuss what your goals are for the month, and how you are working on those goals. You don't have to actually reach every goal every month, and you get to choose how you are going to teach and with what resources. You might check with your school district and see if they offer any kind of support like that.
    Finally, join some online homeschool support groups, especially if you are in an area without a lot of local HSing parents, so you have someone to talk to and ask questions of.

Good luck!

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

It is so heart wrenching to hear what your boys are going through. It looks like you have been given a few options to check into. I sure hope you find a quick solution so those stomach aches stop. Please keep us informed.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.