NY moms????

Thread: NY moms????

ministrymom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default NY moms????

Anyone else homeschool in NY state and use only this for homeschooling? does it meet all the requirements or do you add anything?? this is my first year homeschooling and could use any advice or help from other NY homeschooling moms! thanks
    Mom of Caleb '05, Jered '06, Isaac '07, David and Mira '09, Baby Zoe Faith due in June!

Walk by faith and not by sight!!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You might want to ask this question on the New York parent forum. If you look at the top of this page, you will see a tab marked state forums. Click on that and then click on New York from the drop down menu. I am the moderator of the New York forum. We would love to have you stop over and look around. It also depends on the age of your child. Required subjects "For grades one through six: arithmetic, reading, spelling, writing, the English language, geography, United States history, science, health education, music, visual arts, physical education, bilingual education and/or English as a second language where the need is indicated." You would probably have to find a way to include health education, music (some people just listen to music in various styles others take voice, piano, or guitar lessons,) visual arts (a monthly trip to a local art museum works,) and physical education (sports activities, even bowling counts.)

I think the main thing is to relax. Even though it sounds complicated to meet all of the state requirements, it's not really all that hard. Look around the forums and ask any questions you might have.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

maryc927 is offline Member

We're in upstate NY, north of Albany by about 30-45 minutes. We signed up our two kids in March of this year on Time4Learning and have seen definite improvement in their school work, learning skills, and thought processes. I also like it because of the quizzes and tests that the kids take, I'm taken out of the picture and no longer the bad guy. I also print off the reports that I need for the school district for their quarterly reports, so no more sitting in front of the computer working on their quarterlies for a couple of hours at a time. Yes, since March we were using Time4Learning as the pretty much the only curriculum but I did add some extra-curricular activities to go along with it. Now, for the Fall, I will be adding 50 state history and United Stated History both of them from Currclick.com, we will also be doing our NY State History study as well. We'll be doing a Bible Study also.
    I hope this helps you.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I've heard lots of good things about the 50 states curriculum from CurrClick. We haven't used it yet, but I might add it next year. One thing that I like and my son really likes for history is the Chester Comics. You can get them on Amazon.com. They have great little history lessons in them but they are written in comic book format so the kids love them.