ok a few questions for a newbie to the program
    jellybean is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default ok a few questions for a newbie to the program

hope this is the right forum

i thought when i signed up i stated what grade but now i can not see what i picked
    and when i am in there it does not really say if i am using 1st grade level or not

i am going to try to get the feel for it this weekend before letting my kid use it
    one thing i notice is level buttons 1-2-3 on each subject but not sure what it really means though i am reading around
    trying to figure out what the level buttons mean but so far have not yet

also once they take any tests they will stay with the first scores or if they retake tests and do better
    will those scores come up i know it says you can redo lessons as much as you want but not sure
    what that means for any tests given if those too can reset or impove

again sorry if wrong forum am trying to get my way around and want to know how we like it
    before signing up the rest of the crew

thanks soooo much for being so patient with my questions!!

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ok a few questions for a newbie to the program

The 1 2 3 are the different levels. first grade second grade and third. Your child has access to all lessons in those grades. If you chose first then the 1 should be highlighted. If you find level one is too easy in a subject or your child finishes early or too quickly you can click on the 2 and they can work on level two ( or second grade) Each time a test is taken it will show up on the reports. Can't delete a bad grade. At the top of this page on the left there is a button that says getting started guide. If you have not already read it , its a huge help. Always feel free to ask the forum the people here are great. Welcome.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add that the scores will average together. take the quiz 3 times, 3 scores will show up and the 3 scores will average together and average in with the rest of the scores.

Dayna
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Most people have questions when they begin, so feel free to ask anything. That's why we're here! It's great that you're taking time to learn your way around the program before your child begins.

Here is some information about grade levels. Your child's lessons will default to the level you specified, which should be the light blue number. You have access to one level above and one level below, also.

Here's some weekend reading for you, if you haven't already seen it. Be sure you've read everything in the Time4Learning Getting Started Guide, as well as all of the Hints.

Dayna is right about grades for multiple attempts being averaged together. There are many ways to calculate grades, and you are always free to disregard T4L's final score. The reports give enough information that it's usually easy to calculate a grade "your way".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jellybean is offline Junior Member Newbie

thanks for the help
    have been checking it out all weekend...
    now am trying to recall what grade i signed up for lol
    thought was going to do 1st grade so could see the K and 2nd grade
    but wow some of the stuff on level 1 for what i thought should be K is farther along than K

so far though seems to be really good review for what they know and great coverage on what they don't

they are loving the math which is main reason i signed them up

Kathy1210 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I will be taking my grandchild out of school this week (February 10, 2009). He is currently in 6th grade. After looking at the number of activities, I calculated approximately 18 weeks left of this school year, I'm thinking he has to complete all 723 activities. Is this correct?

If we decide on public school in the future, how do we prove he has completed the 6th grade? etc???

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy1210
    I will be taking my grandchild out of school this week (February 10, 2009). He is currently in 6th grade. After looking at the number of activities, I calculated approximately 18 weeks left of this school year, I'm thinking he has to complete all 723 activities. Is this correct?

If we decide on public school in the future, how do we prove he has completed the 6th grade? etc???
    It will probably be very difficult for him to complete all of the activities before the end of the school year since it is halfway over all ready. You should check your state's home school requirements regarding assessments. In VA, my kids just need to pass a language arts and math standardized test to prove they are where they should be.

Welcome to the forum. Its really great here.
    My daughter uses the 6th grade level too.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

have you checked with the school? In Wyoming it is up to the school to decide if they want to give them a test to see if they can move onto the next grade. When one of my sons wanted to go back to public school for high school they didn't do anything just enrolled him. So you may want to look at the laws of your state and possible ask the school system what could be required if you were to enroll him next year. sorry I can't be of more help. Dayna
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna