One more new question and some thoughts
    alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

Default One more new question and some thoughts

Is there a difference in curriculum for full time, afterschool, and summer? Or is it just saying T4L can be used as is for all three situations?

And I did finally find some posts on ranges of time spent. I was thinking that since my kids are used to going to school 8:30 - 3:00, I'd just keep a similar schedule with them, but is that too much time spent per day?

I love my kids, but the thought of them home all day every day is a bit overwhelming. They fight a lot. Any suggestions on how to change that trend and set up respect and structure at home?

I think I want to try home schooling but it scares me too!

And do any of you work part time? What type of arrangements do you make if you need to be gone some days for work or appts or whatever?

Thanks in advance for all your input.
    Laura

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The curriculum is the same, regardless of whether you use it for homeschooling or enrichment.

Homeschooling takes far less time than public or private school. In a group school situation, children must wait in line to wash their hands before lunch, wait their turn to use items in limited supply (such as the classroom microscope), and so forth. I, personally, do not know anyone who home schools whose children "do school" all day.

My children have been home schooled from the beginning. My friends who have removed their children from a group school situation have shared that a great deal of time was spent AT FIRST on behavior issues. If your kids are home with you, you have time to address these things. They're as important to learn as academics.

I worked two days a week for many years. Fortunately, my company provided on-site child care. I'm still thankful to be working from home now! We finish our formal schooling by noon or 1:00 each day, so I schedule things such as dentist appointments for around 1:30. You can usually get in and out more quickly, because everyone else's children are at school.

Click here to read a post from earlier today about how my family's day is structured.

And, others, feel free to share your experiences with Laura.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Carla is offline Member Regular

Just like there is no one set homelife for every family there is no perfect schedule that fits every homeschool family. As you work with your children, do chores and other daily events your schedule will soon work itself out.
    My general rule of thumb is no more than three hours of "book work" for lower elementary, four hours for upper elementary, and five for jr/sr high. Remember that in the six to seven hours a day for public school children they have P.E., music, recess, art, and library. Include these in your homeschool days and it will add quite a bit of time on to your children's day. My state(Nebraska) requires so many hours of school time that we have to include these extra things. Also "life skills" which means learning to get along with siblings, friends, learn responsibilities (chores) that tiype of thing.

never-say-never-mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Laura,
    I work 60 hours a week (night shift) while my husband has a home business. I spend two hours with my son doing book work and then go to bed. My husband then monitors him on T4L for the next two hours. That's it! We're done by noon and he then has time to read a favorite book, play with his little sister or work on his lego's.

The main thing we've noticed in the change in my son's behavior. Since we've been homeschooling, he gets along better with his sisters, offers to help more around the house and is more compliant to what we want him to learn. He also hugs me every day and tells me how much he "loves me." This was something he didn't do prior to pulling him out of school.

My cousin was also afraid to home school because her kids fought all the time as well. The moment she pulled them out, the fighting stopped. They are now grown and both homeschool their kids. (she's the one who talked me into homeschooling my eldest when I relayed he was having problems at school.)

I don't know if it is the stress of peer pressure or what, but don't be afraid that your kids fight now. I think you'll notice a huge difference once you bring them home.

good luck

twobitford is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: One more new question and some thoughts

"I love my kids, but the thought of them home all day every day is a bit overwhelming. They fight a lot. Any suggestions on how to change that trend and set up respect and structure at home?

I think I want to try home schooling but it scares me too! "

----------Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling,--------------

I am a homeschool mother of 5 and yes, at first it is a very scary idea to have your children all at home with you and to be the one responsible for their education.

I have been doing this for little over a year and was definatly scared. At first, I thought I might ruin them by not teaching the exact same thing as the public school system but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth is my children are closer to one another,---there ARE still days they argue but thats part of life---the negative influences from other children are taken out of the equation, and the way we relate what we are learning to real life, acually helps them to retain the information better, as well as the fact that they desire to learn, and we make learning part of our life not just during school hours.

It doesn't take 7 hours a day, just a few hours of instruction and the rest of the day they are able to persue their own intrests in life. Learning what makes you happy is a big part of finding what is your direction in life.

I would suggest you look around the internet some and see all the different approaches there are to homeschooling your children, it is more than just having school at home.

here is a couple places to start:
    https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194
    this topic is great to read!!!!
    http://homeschooling.about.com/gi/dynam ... ework.html
    www.simplycharolettemason.com
    http://bushnell.net/~peanuts/faq1.html
    http://www.truthquesthistory.com/howtochoose.php
    http://www.totallanguageplus.com/
    http://homeschooling.about.com/od/metho ... or_You.htm

Life is a learning experience for your children and you, good luck in your research, you cannot do any worse than the school system, you have somethings they could never give them ------you love them, care about them, and only want the best for them------

~Brandi~